General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bolt on help and advise...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:36 AM
Weou09

Default Bolt on help and advise...

I have finally decide to add some goodies to my 07 gt and I am not to sure on some part. I am not a gear head but i do have a understanding of basic parts. So here is a list on things that i have sitting in a shopping cart that I would like some advise on all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Steeda Economy Charge Motion Control Plates (05-08 GT)
$149.99
JLT Performance Cold Air Intake (2005+ Mustang GT)
$209.99
SCT BA-5000 Mustang Big Air Slot Style MAF Meter (05-08)
$274.99
BBK Twin 62mm Throttle Body (2005+ GT)
$299.99
Steeda 2005+ 4.6L GT Intake Throttle Body Spacer
$94.95
Steeda Mustang Underdrive Pulley System (2005+ Mustang GT)
$209.95
Comp Cams Stage II XFI NSR Camshafts (2005+ 4.6 3V)
$739.99
GMS Ford 3V Hot-Street Coil Pack 05-09 (Set of 8)
$299.99
Motive Performance Plus 3.73 Mustang Gears
$179.99
SCT LiveWire Mustang Tuner w/ Free Custom Tunes (96-08)
$569.99
BBK Chrome Tuned Length Shorty Headers (2005+ GT)
$299.99
Old 04-27-2009, 11:56 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

OK, a few things i could pick out

A) The TB spacer is a waste of money from what I hear from people here
B) Get FRPP gears insted of Motive because the Motive gears have tendency to whine more
C) The new TB is a waste of money unless you plan on putting down a lot of N/A power, The stock one flows fine for most needs.
D) Also get the CAI and Tuner as a package deal, instead of separately. Also get it from a place such as BAMA, because they can send you a tune to you for your cams, CMDP, CAI, Gears, and shorties.
E) I'm Pretty sure the CAI will come with a new MAF, so getting one might be pointless.
F) I havent heard of the coil packs, so I cant comment on those.

Hope this helps
Old 04-27-2009, 12:16 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Pretty much what S197GT07 said. But the coil packs also seem like a waste of money since I haven't heard anyone complain about the stockers; they're sufficient. You should spend some time researching before committing to any mods your not familiar with. Don't waste your cash on unnecessary mods when you could use it for the purchase of mods that really help performance. All of this stuff has been discussed many times.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:36 AM
Weou09

Hey Thanks! Here is the deal come tax time next year I am going to have 5-6k to spend on the car. I guess I was little off in my first attempt at parts...but hey gotta learn some how. If you could be so kind to lean me in the right direction to spend that money on the car I would greatly appreciate it! Also it will be a daily driver and I want to play it conservative because I would like the car to last, but i have no preference on parts other than nitrous oxide.

Last edited by Weou09; 04-28-2009 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:47 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Well you could do quite a bit with 5-6k, what are your final goals with the car? Do you plan on putting a super/turbocharger on in the future? These answers will greatly alter what you do with the 5k.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:32 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Weou09
Hey Thanks! Here is the deal come tax time next year I am going to have 5-6k to spend on the car. I guess I was little off in my first attempt at parts...but hey gotta learn some how. If you could be so kind to lean me in the right direction to spend that money on the car I would greatly appreciate it! Also it will be a daily driver and I want to play it conservative because I would like the car to last, but i have no preference on parts other than nitrous oxide.
Since you are talking about a year from now you have plenty of time to research it.

With that amount of cash to invest you have a lot of options, but it depends on what you want the car for. Don't make the mistake of just buying parts that you may have to discard when you discover a better option in the future. Decide what you want the car to be and only buy parts that will achieve your goal. I've purchased parts that I've had to replace because I bought something else and they didn't work together.

* All-around Daily Driver
* Drag Racing/Acceleration
* Extreme Handling
* Extra Stopping Power

All-around Daily Driver, performance wise, I would suggest getting:
1. CAI and Tune
2. 3.73 or 4.10 FRPP Gears.
3. Aluminum 1 Pc Driveshaft
4. UDP
5. Cams
6. Axleback Exhaust. The stock exhaust is good but needs meaner sound.
7. Suspension kit. I think a kit is the best choice because all the parts are designed to work together.

If you will eventually supercharge forget all the minor engine upgrades which will add a lot of cost with little gain.

These are suggestions only. Other guys will have different ideas about what to do.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:56 AM
yellowjacketfever
1st Gear Member

i would bet that the stock ford coils and wires are just like gm's. the stock application is just about as good as you can get untill alot of hp has been achieved. then you would need something better. most everyone puts mallory on the ls1 and ls2 for a upgrade. and the stock will run right along with them, the stock ones are just plain ugly. well paint them and save some money! and check out how much air flow your stock intake is capable of netting. check out all the components you are intending to change out. you'll proabably see you do not need to. and good luck!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:07 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Haha I just read an article in Modified Mustangs and Fast Fords about the GMS Pro Series Extreme Coil Packs and I guess I have to take back what I said before. The Mag tested them and found that they improved gas mileage and most importantly they gained 29HP over a stock engine. I wouldn't have believed it but I was wrong. They cost MSRP of $600 though.

Last edited by wingman75; 04-28-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:06 AM
Weou09

Hey guys thank you very much for taking the time to help me! Like i said this will be my daily driver so i am not looking for a 450-500 hp car. Basically I am looking to to be in the 350-390 range which is what i feel is safe for a 4.6 with no internal work done...I have been looking at maybe just dropping in a full exhaust, cold air, 3.73 gears and a supercharger running an extremely conservative boost maybe 5-6 psi. With a good tune that should easily accomplish my goal, right? Any thoughts on that approach? And if i go that route would the delete plate, coils be a smart move to max my cars potential without harming the motor in the long run? Oh and for what i want from the car is a kick *** sound and to snap peoples head back just a little lol. The car will be taken to a 1/8 mile track occasionally but will be mostly messing with people...

Last edited by Weou09; 04-29-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:44 AM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

messing w people haha love it. me too, thats my goal I think. after I make some cash. ....but, I dont think youll get to 350 on a stock motor, but Im kinda guessing, Im not a gear head either.

**** maybe w that supercharger you WILL! good luck!

Quick Reply: Bolt on help and advise...