General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

HELP HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:28 PM
labtec101

Default HELP HELP

ok so i got a 1996 mustang and the key was replaced now when i put the new one in the theft lock comes on is there a way to disengage the theft lock i.e. a fuse cutting wires etc or is this a more complicated fix like going to the dealership and getting it replaced.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:58 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

So when you put the key in the ignition the theft light comes on, and the car won't start?

You'll be needing a trip to the dealership in order to reprogram your PATS(Passive Anti Theft System) on your Key/Car.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:05 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Yep, the PATS system doesn't recognize the new key, it needs to be reprogrammed by Ford. If you want any additional spares or remotes, now would be the time to do that all at once. The PATS system has a chip in the key that communicates with your vehicle and allows it to start, if that chip isn't present or it doesn't recognize the chip, your car will not start. It prevents someone from either getting a blank cut and stealing your car or the ole screwdriver in the ignition.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:50 AM
labtec101

and how much is that going to cost