General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing A New hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:29 PM
VaporPony

Default Installing A New hood

Hey guys I am new to the forum and not all that sure where to post it so mods please move if needed. I have an 08 stang v6 and it is a deer magnet. I've hit 3 in two months my only accidents since I began driving when i was 14. My last one was on a highway in the rain on memorial day but it only damaged the hood and somehow my lower grille is missing. There is no internal damage and I am just planning on replacing the hood. My question is what all can I expect to change the hood, I cannot file another claim and shopping on the internet has brought up some sweet looking hoods that will cost lest than my deductible. I've never changed a hood before but I have painted and primed them all I really want to know is if I buy a hood with a big cowl on it will I still be using the hinges or should I buy pins as well? What goes along with fitting the hood for the car? Last but not least my ultimate goal with my mustang is to do all the work on it myself (I change the oil, rotate tires, installed a cold air intake kit and did my own true dual exhaust system) so is it worth it to do the work myself hopefully with help from someone on here or should I look to take it somewhere? Thanks for your help guys.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

Welcome to MF's

Changing hoods is pretty easy. If you buy a hood from a reputable dealer, you will most likely have a better fitment. I don't know of any step by step manuals for changing hoods.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:02 PM
VaporPony

Probably going with one of the big cowl hoods from americanmuscle.com do you have any recommendations? What should I expect when it comes to fitting and such? Should I just use pins?