General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

79-98 Rear Axle Differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Ninety5PoloZ

Default 79-98 Rear Axle Differences

New here and just had a few simple questions for you guys.

I'm working on swapping a 8.8 into my 95 Z28 (don't flame please I'm using stang parts ) But I know that the 93 and earlier rears are 1.5" narrower than the 94+ but I have been reading that the axle housings are actually the same, but the axles are whats different.

My main question is if I locate and older rear axle (93 and earlier) can I simply swap in newer axles and make the rear wider or do I have to switch bearings or anything else? I plan on using cobra disk brakes and keeping the 5x4.5 bolt pattern to make brake swaps cheaper.

Thanks in advance, and great site you have going here
Old 08-11-2009, 08:38 PM
88Mach1
3rd Gear Member

yup, you can just slide the longer axles right in. no need for different bearings. the axles are longer to make room for the disc brakes that came on '94+.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Ninety5PoloZ

Originally Posted by 88Mach1
yup, you can just slide the longer axles right in. no need for different bearings. the axles are longer to make room for the disc brakes that came on '94+.
Perfect, thats the answer I was looking for. I read somewhere that they were longer to make room for the reluctor rings for the ABS, but the disk brakes makes sense too.

BTW your car is absolutely sick. I fell in love the first time I saw it, I can't wait to get some thing paid off so I can get a fox to add to my little collection of cars
Old 08-11-2009, 09:11 PM
88Mach1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ninety5PoloZ
I read somewhere that they were longer to make room for the reluctor rings for the ABS
that could be. maybe they're longer for both the brakes and the ABS. i dunno.

Originally Posted by Ninety5PoloZ
BTW your car is absolutely sick. I fell in love the first time I saw it, I can't wait to get some thing paid off so I can get a fox to add to my little collection of cars
thanks! what else you got in your collection?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Ninety5PoloZ

Well I have a daily driver 97 4wd Tahoe dropped 3-5 on 20s with a CAI, my camaro which has too much work done to it to list, 88 stepside chevy with a 400 horse small block thats dropped 4-6 and is still a work in progress, an 01 jeep cherokee, thats pretty much stock. And a 78 malibu that is sitting in my garage in baskets deciding if I should sell it or not.

Before I got my Camaro I was working with a guy with a 93 cobra that was pretty much full bolt ons and still had all of the stock parts and it had about 85k miles on it, but he wouldn't work with the deal I wanted so I had to pass, but I'm kicking myself about it now. I should have got that car.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:17 PM
88Mach1
3rd Gear Member

damn, that's quite the collection you got going there.

i thought i had a collection going, but i only got my 2 mustangs and a '63 ford fairlane with a 550hp big block.

oh, and sorry to rub it in, but yeah you should have gotten that cobra. those are sweet.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Ninety5PoloZ

Originally Posted by 88Mach1
damn, that's quite the collection you got going there.

i thought i had a collection going, but i only got my 2 mustangs and a '63 ford fairlane with a 550hp big block.

oh, and sorry to rub it in, but yeah you should have gotten that cobra. those are sweet.
Eh its just a start LOL, but the fairlane sounds sweet, my car puts down a little more than 400 hp to the wheels, I couldn't imagine another 75-100 hp and the torque of the big block.

But its cool, I know I should have got the cobra, but I probably would have ruined the resale by now LOL. Probably a DSS stroker with a procharger and a 6 speed. But thats for another day, I know a guy with a super clean 85 LX hatch thats got the full 87+ front clip, bumpers, taillights, and interior, but its gutted to be a drag car and is just a roller but he wants $500 for it. I'm probably picking it up in a few months just to have it. So I'll see where that path takes me
Old 08-15-2009, 09:43 PM
88Mach1
3rd Gear Member

yeah, the fairlane's definitely a torque monster.
with the e/t streets, it's not too bad, but with regular street tires, it's almost downright scary.

here's some pics

oh, and $500 for the fox sounds like a good deal. i've been looking for a 4 cyl fox to make into a drag car. but i suppose i should finish the mustangs i already have before buying another one.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Ninety5PoloZ

The fairlane is sweet, I absolutely love old muscle cars :drool: LOL

I talked to a guy this week that is interested in my malibu thats just sitting in my garage taking up space. He said that he may trade me for one of his foxes. Hes got 2 red ones, one auto, one 5 speed, both pretty much stock and clean. I'm trying to get the 5 speed car, but I'll see what works out. He will swap the tranny for me in the auto car too if I give him a few hundred extra. But I'll post up if something happens
Old 08-19-2009, 05:17 PM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

something else that i didnt see anyone mention. if you get an axle for a 93 or older car you will have to swap the drums for disks. so you will need the backing plates and either either cut and reflare the brake lines on the housing or loop them to take up the slack and use adapter fittings. IMO it would be much easier just to use a 94+ axle and after your done buying swap parts its also probably much cheaper

Quick Reply: 79-98 Rear Axle Differences