General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Studdering but not light??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Kween

Question Engine Studdering but not light??

Ok long story short. I had this problem once and changed the spark plugs and hasnt happened since. I was on my way back from vegas driving 2 hours 115 degree weather and a/c running. All of a sudden i wasn't going anywhere in traffic. My foot was pressed on the gas as far as it would go without flinesoning it and i was misfiring (or something like that). Could barley make it off the freeway....It never threw a check engine light. Had it towed from Yermo to barstow (like 10 miles max) had to switch tow trucks and the first guy said i had tranny fluid all over his bed. So i towed it alllllll the way home and took it to the shop the next day. They said no leak....... So i got under there myself low and behold its a speeping (Verrrrryyyyyyy slow) leak from the tranny pan gasket, nothing to freak out about. The misfire was never found because it didnt have the check engine light and has not done it since. So the question is what would cause the car to not want to go and if i should rfix the leak (the shop said its nothing to worry about)? It's a 04 base model with no mods @ 84K.

Last edited by Kween; 08-13-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:49 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Could be a tranny issue. If you had the pedal pressed and the engine was revving but not moving, I would say it is your tranny. Need to check the level on the fluid, when fluid gets low you won't go anywhere. Did it happen all at once or did you notice that it was just getting progressively worse as time went on?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Kween

It only did it a few times and progressivly got worse (to the point where i felt bad and didnt want to damage anything else lol)...The fluid was completely full. Some say Vapor Lock, Full Pump/Filter (had that checked and it was A ok), Bad gas (i used chevron like always) and even after i had the car back in orange county it drove fine with the same gas.... It is leaking where the tranny meets something else. Im thinkin if there is an O ring (OH NO not the o ring haha) that's what needs to be replaced. The tranny isn't shifting hard at all. I swear im doomed with not being able to find out what is wrong....
Old 09-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Kween

OK did it again this weekend, but worse to where you can see and hear the engine struggeling to turn over.... Had it towed from San Diego. Check engine light was FLASHING not on so i looked in the manual and it said if it flashes than its misfiring.....Turned out to be the spark plug wires. Had them replaced and its been running like a champ since.