General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:21 PM
pjj1020
1st Gear Member

Default First Car

I am trying to decide on what would be a good first car. A mustang is my first choice. I've loved Stangs my whole life-it was actually my first favorite car back when i was 12. Well, now i'm 16. I just turned it actually. I've been working really hard, cutting lawns, working at camp, and not spending a penny. I figure that by my 17th bday, I will have around 8500 dollars. With this money, I noticed that I can buy a 2004 Mustang or older.

I want to get a 2001-2004 Mustang the most, and have some questions for when I get it.

What rims look good on a Mustang that aren't that much?

What websites are good for part upgrades?

I'm thinking about getting muffler eliminators, but is there any better options that aren't to expensive to make my exhuast get a sick sound like that?

How can I improve MPG, and what does it get?

Are any of those years better then the other?

Thanks a LOT for the help. Please answer whatever you can.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:46 PM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

Kickass man. Working hard all those years will pay off in spades when you have a mustang to call your own.

Are you going for a GT or a v6? I've owned both, and I can't recommend the GT enough. With a little legwork you should be able to afford one with that price as well.

The advice I give below is mostly for the GT model.

Rims - I personally love Bullitt rims. You can get them at http://www.americanmuscle.com/99-04-....html#shop-by1 . Have a look around that site and see if you find any others you like. The nockoffs are great because the quality is about the same as OEM and they're a heck of a lot cheaper.

Websites - I like www.americanmuscle.com and http://www.steeda.com/

Mufflers - You don't want to eliminate the mufflers. That will sound like ***. You DO want a good muffler upgrade. I have Flowmaster Super 40s and love the sound, but they aren't as loud as something like a cherrybomb or a glasspack (which also sound like raspy *** in my opinion). Check out exhaust clips online at youtube and that will give you a good idea of the sounds you can expect.

MPG - Drive it like an old lady . Honestly, if you want mileage then a mustang probably isn't your best choice. It has a large engine (the GT does anyways) and it's hard to get great mileage from an engine that big.

I have a manual 2001 GT with a supercharger, and I can eek out about 22 mpg with half highway, half city.

To get better mileage, you can get a custom tune which will help the engine make power more efficiently, and do induction upgrades such as a cold-air intake, but you won't be driving around on 30 mpg no matter what you do.

Years - This is for the GT model: If possible, try to get a 99 model or newer. The older models came with a head that didn't flow as well, and power suffered. The 99 and up models are more powerful than the 98 and lower.

I know you said 2001-2004, but those models are nearly identical stretching all the way back to 1999. The only difference is the transmission (T45 in first half of 2001 vs T5 second half), and the engine code (Windsor up to early 2001, Romeo after). The engines have their differences, but they're mostly minor and you won't have to worry about them just yet.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:25 AM
pjj1020
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reponse.

IMO 22 MPG is pretty good for a V8.

The Bullit Rims look sick! And they are very affordable, which suprises me.

I'd get a GTO if it is in my price range.

Any exhuast upgrades suggested?

Catback?
midpipe?
Loudmouth Mufflers?
offset mufflers?
headers?

What make is best too?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2009, 11:02 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

IMO for a first car there's nothing wrong with grabbing a V6. Because they're cheaper than GT's you'll be able to get a better all-around car for the same $$. Just make sure it has a 5-speed manual tranny! & that'll make for a fun combination to drive around in, and the gas mileage will be a bit better.

Have you inquired how much insurance is gonna cost you?? The answer to that will also probably convince you to start with a V6 Call a couple insurance companies for quotes BEFORE you buy anything!

Grab whatever rims YOU think look great. That's why there are so many to choose from,, everyone has a personal preference so get what YOU want! Just be sure to keep them 18" or less. +20" rims look STUPID on a new edge IMO
Old 08-18-2009, 11:31 AM
pjj1020
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the response.

Yea, I forgot about that for a moment.

I luckily don't have to pay for the insurance (my dad is covering it), but I don't want to be a dick and get him huge insurance payments.

And I agree with the rim thing. I was looking at the 18 x 9's and they seemed to be a good size. I might go with black out rims if I get a white mustang.