General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dealership Messed Up My Car...Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Black&Red2000

Default Dealership Messed Up My Car...Need Help!!

I just took my car to a Ford dealership to have an instrument cluster programmed. They had a hard time getting it programmed but finally got it done. I left and it started raining so I turned my wipers on...they didn't work. The wipers had worked before they worked on my car. I took it back and they told me it was nothing they did. They said it's either the switch or a wire, or the switch and wire and that this is a common problem with cars that have tilt steering. Has any one heard of the switch or wires just going out? Is it something they did? Also, since I have to fix it because I have no wipers and no left turn signal now does any one know what wire it could be? And where does the switch draw power from? I'm asking because they are saying it is just a coincidence and has nothing to do with them replacing the instrument cluster.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:32 PM
DarkJFMan
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure about the windshield wiper but I know the left turn signal is part of the wiring in the instrument cluster. Also there is no such thing as "coincidence" they both went faulty at the same time.

I'm not sure who you spoke with if it's just the dealer or a manager, but insist that they would fix it, if you know for a fact it was working before you gave it to them especially with the left turn signal.

I tried looking for the wiring diagram for a 2000 mustang, no luck hopefully someone else got it.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

ya my first one had a bad wiper switch i had to wiggle it to get them to work but in your case i would defly go back and make them fix it. they may not know it but they couldve messed sumthing up pulling all the out, pulling the cluster is frustrating it is wasnt broke when u had and is broke after they had it its their fault

contact the Better Business Bureau if they argue
Old 08-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Black&Red2000

The wipers are working again...it was just a fuse. Which they said was not the problem. Turn signal is still not working. No light on the dash, no front signal and the rear is flashing fast like the bulb is out in the front. It's not though. I put the bulb in the passenger side and it works fine. Also put the old cluster back in and it's doing the same thing. The old one works fine just no gauge lights when the headlights are on.

I just talked to the owner of the dealership and they're going to look at it tomorrow but it sounded like they're saying it's somehow my fault they didn't look at the fuses and just tore into the steering column. I guess I'll see how it goes tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:06 PM
DarkJFMan
2nd Gear Member

For their profit they have to convince you it's your fault something happened, don't settle with that, they HAVE to fix a mistake they did but they try to avoid it because it costs them labor and money.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Black&Red2000

After the dealership rescheduled my appointment twice I finally got my car fixed. They are still saying it's not their fault, that it just happened so they temporarily fixed it. What happened was when the tech lowered the steering wheel and then took the cover off the column and probed the wired with a screw driver he broke a wire. So they're saying that the wire would have broken anyway because a clip is broken...they used glue to fix it but said I need to have the clip and wire replaced and it's going to cost about $140. They refuse to do the permanent fix because they still say it's just a coincidence that it happened when a tech took a screwdriver to the wires. I asked to see the broken clip and the repair job and they refused to show me.

Last week they transferred my account and records to another dealership. I found out when I received a notice from the other dealership stating that my records are showing it's time for another maintenance check.

I am reporting the first dealership to the better business bureau. I've also been told to report them to Ford for their shady business practices, but I don't know that it will do any good.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

wow, so they say one of their techs broke it but its not their fault? thats really their argument? thats unbelievable i would laugh in their face and of course its gonna break you cant fix wires with a screwdriver silly technician

BBB ftw
Old 09-15-2009, 11:27 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

They need to fix it. Also, if the wipers worked before they touched it, and then they didn't because of a blown fuse, I'd be willing to put money on them having shorted something causing the fuse to pop. They broke wires and clips and shorted your wiper system(and whatever else is on the same circuit they shorted) causing the fuse to blow. They're responsible, and if they won't fix it I'd definitely report them.

And on a side note, THIS is one of the reasons the big 3 are failing/suck. This kind of crap always seems to be coming from the American dealerships, I never hear about this crap coming from the foreign dealers. Heck, I know someone who had his a/c go out on his Acura AFTER the warranty expired(like 10k miles after) and the dealership replaced it as a warranty job after the factory said they'd cover it. The manager told him "You didn't buy an Acura to have your a/c go out at 60,000 miles."
Old 09-16-2009, 08:43 AM
AtlanticBlue_98GT
2nd Gear Member

Dealerships suck. They always say " We didn't do it ". Good luck!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:36 PM
06SSilverGT

That sucks to hear about your issues, i was messing with the wiring on my taillights and theres so many u can easily get confused.... the dealership should mos def fix a problem they created... I have a dealership with similar practices in my area... and i hold no names back, Southbay Ford quoted for 1000$ for a oem clutch replacement (parts + labor) on my 06 GT.

I purchased a stock clutch for 250$ and went to FAIRVIEW FORD and had their best tech install it for 200$. it was done so quickly that i barely had time to run to in&out (a burger spot) and eat... this clutch has lastest me a year and a half so far, no signs of wear

Quick Reply: Dealership Messed Up My Car...Need Help!!