General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sound Systems

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Bad_dog_079

Default Sound Systems

I have a 98 v6 mustang and I am doing some small modifications to make it alittle nicer. Currently it still has the factory sound system, two 6x8's in the front and two more in the back. I think they are pretty good speakers, but I think I want to upgrade to a higher performance system. My father bought me a Xplod head unit for Christmas so I was looking into xplod speakers. I was looking on Ebay for some, but my father told me that they were 5.25 rounds. There were plenty 5.25 rounds, so I bought a set for the front. When I had the door panels taken off, I found they were 6x8's in the front aswell as the back. So I have a extra set and still need some speakers. I think they were the best 5.25's that xplod offer, they retailed at $125 a set, and I got it shipping and all for 50. In the plastic wrapping and everything. I looked for the same deal on ebay for 6x8's but there was like one set on ebay. And they weren't very cheap. So, my question is, what is a nice sounding system, decently cheap. You know, I don't want the best of the best, just a good system. I don't know if it will help or not, but I like rock or metal, so if there are speakers special for heavy bass, tell me. Thanks guys! I appreciate it.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:13 PM
lrall
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Sound Systems

umm sony kinda sucks lol, no offense er nuthin. 6x9s are gonna be expensive-ish. pioneer has some decent ones, you might try alpine. Personally im a JL Audio guy theyre more expensive but very nice. I dont know where you live but if you live in a big-ish town or city you could go to a stereo store and ask them, most guys around here are honest about it. hope this helped haha. and theres a reason why its called 'XPLOD'
Old 07-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Bad_dog_079

6x8, not 6x9's...

Yea, I was looking into Pioneer or infinity, I think there are lots of pioneers on ebay....you think thats a good way to go
Old 07-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Bad_dog_079

And I realize 3 ways sound nicer than 2 ways, but whats thye diference? And i found 4 ways.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Bad_dog_079

Also, my head unit is 200 watts, so what happens if I put 220 or 240 watt speakers on it. Will they still work unless i put it up loud or what?
Old 07-14-2005, 04:44 PM
razarr69
2nd Gear Member

You should be able to run the 6x8s in the door just off the built in amp in the deck, but you could also get a seperate amp like a 250x4 or something to run the 4 6x8's but I'd suggest looking into some component's. Personally I think they sound a lot better and might add a little more bass sound. Yeah from what I've heard Sony isn't the greatest stuff, I have Boston Acoustics in my doors and dash and in the rear and they sound pretty nice, gettin worn out though. They have a seperate amp to run them. Yeah they will work just when you turn it up louder it might start to pop from lack of power or distort really bad. Alpine is a pretty good way to go also.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:35 PM
MrFedEx503
2nd Gear Member

my ride is equpied with all Infinity speakers, an Alpine MP3 deck 50Wx4, and a JL W3v2 12" sub with a 700 watt max alpine amp.... damn my 92 gt hatch SLUMPS
Old 07-15-2005, 05:03 PM
durknutz01GT
1st Gear Member

200 W head unit? does that mean 50x4? remember that's max power output (something it never reaches they can just put a higher number on the box) pay attn to the RMS rating. That's the good stuff. Your Sony is prob 20x4 RMS, or 22x4. Make sure the sony head unit power output is within the recommended RMS power range (RMS means the power output on a constant basis) and you should be fine. Get an amp if you want it loud but this means more money, not only for the amp, but for high quality speakers that can handle the power.
I'm pretty positive 5.25's will fit in the door, you'll just need an installation plate. Go to / or call Cruthfield.com, they could send you one. 6x8's are the same as 6x9's.
GO with components in the front and mount the tweeters somewhere on the dash to get good high's&meds. get decent rear but don't spend too much on them, you can get powered subs for base for pretty cheap. It'll do the job.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:08 PM
d_owen44
1st Gear Member

Here is a site with great prices and a pretty big selection but you can get some cheap subs and speakers on this site. allcarstereo.com
Old 07-15-2005, 07:28 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: Bad_dog_079

And I realize 3 ways sound nicer than 2 ways, but whats thye diference? And i found 4 ways.
Sorry, I should clarify before you read my thought on 2-way vs 3-way. This guy is looking for advice on good BUT cheap.

A 2 way speaker has 2 components - the low/mid driver and the tweeter. A 3 way has a low driver, and mid driver and a tweeter. A

3 ways don't always sound better. If you are building a good system, 3 ways would be overkill and you wouldn't benefit by them. Never heard of a 4-way car speaker - makes no sense. Probably a crazy marketing ploy. The audio spectrum is divided 3 ways - low, mid and high. I guess you could technically have a 4 way system if you sub-divided the mids into low-mid and high-mid - but were talking crazy there for home or car [8D] Most systems are 2 way, which is sufficient in a car. The only systems that really benefit from 3 way are large a$$ club/church/etc PA systems. Those usually consist of 18's for the subs, 15 or 12's for the mids, and big ole horns for the tweets.

In a car, most of your 4x6, 6x8 or whatever door/dash speakers are 2-way and looking to be cross'd over and amp'd so that they only produce the mids and highs. So having a 3-way speaker in that instance would be overkill. Use 2-ways all around, and get some good subs in the trunk/hatch and you won't be disappointed.

The key is crossing over the frequencies correctly before amping all the respective channels.

Quick Reply: Sound Systems