General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Winter Storage Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Captain_Oblivious83

Default Winter Storage Question

I'm getting ready to put my mustang in the garage for the winter. I was told by several people that I should put the car up on jack stands so that the tires don't get flat spots on them from sitting in the same place all winter. Is this really necessary, or is it just a load of bs?
Thanks in advance,
C.O
Old 11-08-2009, 09:20 AM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious83
I'm getting ready to put my mustang in the garage for the winter. I was told by several people that I should put the car up on jack stands so that the tires don't get flat spots on them from sitting in the same place all winter. Is this really necessary, or is it just a load of bs?
Thanks in advance,
C.O
Flat spotting can occur and it wouldn't hurt to be safe. Tires aren't cheap anymore.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...Pump the tires up to 42-45 psi helps prevent flat spots
Old 11-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Captain_Oblivious83

Thanks for the answer! I'll try to get it up on jackstands, but if that isn't possible, (not much room left in my garage) I'll inflate them to 45 psi and hope for the best.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Monkeyleg
2nd Gear Member

Flat-spotting used to be a problem for stored cars, but the materials used for tires the last couple of decades have all but eliminated the problem.

I've been storing cars and motorcycles over the winter for nearly 30 years, and have never had flat spots.

My #1 concern is moisture condensation, so I put my car and motorcycle in Car Bag zippered storage "bags" along with bags of silica dessicant.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

I agree with not worrying about flat spots but also for the reason. I think a car is happier sitting on it's tires. So if it all all bothers you. Find some junker rims/tires to store the car on.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:59 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

The flat spot thing was more for cars with bias-ply tires. Steel belted radials don't have that problem. Be sure to put some Sta-bil in your gas and run it for a bit before you put it up. That'll keep your gas from turning to syrup and contaminating your entire fuel system.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:57 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

If you're nervous about flat spots & R too lazy to jack up the car,.. just leave a couple feet clearance in front of the stored car. Roll the car forward or backward a few feet every couple weeks
Old 11-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

if ur not gonna jack it atleast park it on sum carpets that way the concrete isnt touching the rubber and sucking the moisture out of the tires (no scientific proof just wat my dad has always done)
Old 11-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Monkeyleg
2nd Gear Member

if ur not gonna jack it atleast park it on sum carpets that way the concrete isnt touching the rubber and sucking the moisture out of the tires (no scientific proof just wat my dad has always done)
Moisture from the concrete can be a rust problem, although I don't know it being a problem for tires. Could be.

I was taught to put a layer of plastic sheeting on the floor, then a layer of plywood, then another layer of plastic, all as a vapor barrier.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage Question