General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

oil question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:57 PM
carlitoselcool

Default oil question

yeah i recently bought a 96 gt, i use it only on the weekends and in about 3 weeks it spend already 1 quart of oil, why is this happening? help
Old 11-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Congrats on the purchase...Have you changed the oil yet? How many miles?
Old 11-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Short drives will use more oil than longer drives just because the engine never warms up to it's designed operating range.More oil gets by the rings and valve seals when the engine is cold.
You don't say how many miles is on the car or how many miles has been driven to eat up this quart of oil either.
Look for leaks first.The valve covers could be leaking and the oil running onto the exhaust manifold.If this is the case you won't see oil spots under the car.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:56 PM
carlitoselcool

thanks guys, i really dont know how many miles because the odometer does not work. so and how can i fix that problem of the oil going into the manifold? thanks is the gt a good reliable car? and the gas is killing me
Old 11-23-2009, 10:16 PM
TimmyGt
3rd Gear Member

to fix it from leaking into the manifold you should do the PI swap to get the extra HP!!! the only way to fix it is to take the motor apart and put new seals in the motor.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:39 AM
toplessLx
1st Gear Member

to fix a valve cover leak just put more gaskets on. Does it blow any sort of smoke at all when you start it? if not then ur rings are prolly ok. If u dont see any oil spots look at the engine see if there is any heavy grease deposits. thats normally a good indication of a leak. if its been leaking for a while u wont really notice thru the build up. also, have u checked ur coolant? look at the cap see if there's any milky build-up on the inside of ur rad. cap. if so ur block is prolly cracked. i hope not but good luck!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:13 PM
carlitoselcool

ok when i start the car up blue smoke comes out of the exaust what does this means? and what is a pi swap and where is that on the engine? how can i stop the consumption of oil thanks guys
Old 12-14-2009, 11:22 AM
toplessLx
1st Gear Member

ok i hate to be the bearer of bad news but thats the sign of bad rings. Whats happening is the oil is staying on the cylinder walls and while parked seeping onto the top of the piston. when you start it it burns it off and thats the smoke you see. looks to me like you're gonna need a new set of rings. sorry
Old 12-15-2009, 01:44 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Hi,

You may have a leakign valve guide seal too, so dont assume bad rings just yet. I would contduct a dry then wet compresson test first. Did you try pulling off the valve covers? And is there signs of excessive blowby?
Old 12-15-2009, 02:06 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by carlitoselcool
thanks guys, i really dont know how many miles because the odometer does not work. so and how can i fix that problem of the oil going into the manifold? thanks is the gt a good reliable car? and the gas is killing me
sounds like you purchased a pretty rough car. it was most likely beat on with little maintenance. i really don't know what to tell you other than you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. my 145k mile 94 had a working odometer and didn't burn any oil. (at least not enough to be very noticeable between oil changes)

i would start off with a compression test, even though the burning of oil should give you a hint to what you'll find.

Quick Reply: oil question