General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Half breed Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:41 AM
kern84

Default Half breed Mustang?

I'm going to buy a 2000 mustang I am going to put a chevy small block 400 in it. Besides the motor mounts, a custom drive shaft, an custom headers, and stiffening the front suspension to handle the weight of the small block. What are the major problems i may run into with a running a chevy tranny in it? it will be a manual tranny as well.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF! ...GL with the project!
Old 12-13-2009, 12:21 PM
CopNaStang
1st Gear Member

MMM, never understood that one. Wouldn't want a chevy in a ford, or a ford in a chevy. I am a huge Mustang fan, but I would not say I am brand loyal. I love anything that is cool. Every manufacturer has their bulletproof/fast cars, possible quirks, and some cars that are poop. But I hate not using Ford with Ford, Chevy with Chevy, Pontiac with Pontiac, Mopar with Mopar.................you get the point. Good luck anyway, I just think its silly.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Burrosito
2nd Gear Member

I know this doesn't solve any of the OP's original questions, but I was watching Pinks All Out a couple of weeks ago and this guy had his Fox Body Mustang nick named ChevStang, I believe. He was running I think all Chevy underneath that body.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:50 PM
kern84

haha its not about using ford with ford its a about havng something that is different and outgoing. i hate how everybody does the same thing. its not wrong its just a bandwagon that i choose to not ride on haha but if anyone knows anything about what i'm going to do to help me out let me know haha thanks for the support though
Old 12-14-2009, 11:07 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

The K member is probably gonna need major carving to make that engine fit.. also I hope you like functional hood scoops

How much engine building experience do U have? This is NOT gonna be an easy project and that's putting things mildly. Have you pulled/installed many engines aready?
Old 12-16-2009, 11:01 AM
hpi09

Thumbs down

don't be that guy we all laugh at, the idiot who puts a chevy motor in a ford. I mean it will cost u more money to do it and you'll get less h.p. You would be alot better off going with a 351-c or w or 400m. Its a lot of work useing the wrong motor especially and different brand and you'll look stupid for doin it. Merry Christmas hope this helps
Old 12-16-2009, 12:07 PM
TimmyGt
3rd Gear Member

I would never put a chevy motor in a ford for many reasons.

1. parts cost more for that motor.

2. if you put the money into a ford motor for that car that you are going to spend on the chevy motor you will have a lot faster car when your done.

3. everything must be customized just to make the motor work, from the front k member to the rear axle! you will most likely need a custom oil pan for the motor, custom computer, custom interior (for the shifter and center council), custom motor mounts, custom tranny mounts, custom hood, custom K member, custom exhaust, custom drive shaft, custom intake, aftermarket suspension, and hours upon hours of you time. now add the cost of the motor and tranny on top of all those custom parts and you just look like a fool!

you say you don't want to do something all the other fords are doing by doing the same things all the chevys are doing? think about what you are saying! there are many options not on the "bandwagon" as you call it. you can find people that put 5.4L SOHC, 5.4L DOHC, 5.4L Triton, 4.6L DOHC (like the cobras), beef up a 4.6L SOHC (like the GTs), or just twin turbo a V6 (you don't see that every day), they have stroker kits for all the motors, 351 conversions, plus all the options of superchargers, turbo chargers, twin turbo chargers, nitrous, 5 speed to 6 speed swaps, and sooooo many more that you just need to think about what you want to accomplish! otherwise if that's all too common for you just buy your overpriced chevy car and save yourself the time and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 07:53 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Dont let everyone deter you ^^ If you have the money and passion to do it, do it. Personally im like most of the people on the site, ide just modify a sick ford engine, take those 1000s of dollars saved and stick a nasty supercharger or twin turbo set up. Whatever you spend on the chevy drop in, just imagine spending half on the ford motor, and having the other half to play with.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:39 PM
offthewall158
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TimmyGt
I would never put a chevy motor in a ford for many reasons.

1. parts cost more for that motor.

2. if you put the money into a ford motor for that car that you are going to spend on the chevy motor you will have a lot faster car when your done.

3. everything must be customized just to make the motor work, from the front k member to the rear axle! you will most likely need a custom oil pan for the motor, custom computer, custom interior (for the shifter and center council), custom motor mounts, custom tranny mounts, custom hood, custom K member, custom exhaust, custom drive shaft, custom intake, aftermarket suspension, and hours upon hours of you time. now add the cost of the motor and tranny on top of all those custom parts and you just look like a fool!

you say you don't want to do something all the other fords are doing by doing the same things all the chevys are doing? think about what you are saying! there are many options not on the "bandwagon" as you call it. you can find people that put 5.4L SOHC, 5.4L DOHC, 5.4L Triton, 4.6L DOHC (like the cobras), beef up a 4.6L SOHC (like the GTs), or just twin turbo a V6 (you don't see that every day), they have stroker kits for all the motors, 351 conversions, plus all the options of superchargers, turbo chargers, twin turbo chargers, nitrous, 5 speed to 6 speed swaps, and sooooo many more that you just need to think about what you want to accomplish! otherwise if that's all too common for you just buy your overpriced chevy car and save yourself the time and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!
I have to agree with this guy. IMO putting a chevy motor in a mustang is a disgrace to the car. There are plenty of other ways to do something different with your car.

Quick Reply: Half breed Mustang?