General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Basic Fox Body Brake Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:40 AM
Everyones Hero
1st Gear Member

Default Basic Fox Body Brake Questions

I have an '86 GT & the brake pedal is very soft or "squishy" & braking doesn't seem very solid compared to my old civic.

I know the shoes are pretty much shot so I'm going to replace those first. Is there a certain brand that's better than others or would I be fine just going to Advance Auto & picking up a set from them?

I want to bleed the brakes but I wanted to check to see if it would be alright to use DOT 4 brake fluid (already have it in the garage). Someone awhile back told me that something could happen if you mixed 3 & 4. True or false?

On the civic I ran Brembo blanks & an OE spec pad & they were great. Are Brembos any good for the Fox bodies? If not what would you recommend as a rotor & pad? The reason I ask is because I found Brembos for $24/rotor for the Fox vs the $50/rotor I paid for the civic.

Not really interested in a rear disc swap, just want to get some basic maintenance done & get the right parts the first time around.

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 01-11-2010, 02:54 AM
rex90lx

thats all i run on all my stangs in past just house brand shoes just make sure you adjust them if not pedal will be alil soft as far as dot 4 i wouldnt recommend mixing and the rotors should be fine with brembo if want more effective stopping slotted and drilled is way to go
Old 01-11-2010, 03:08 AM
Everyones Hero
1st Gear Member

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I'll probably have my little brother do the shoes & a front end alignment for me at his tech center & I'll pick up some DOT 3 when I go to get the shoes. Is there any special adjustment for them or is it just like any other drum brake?

I had the blanks on my civic because they said drilled/slotted weren't necessary for a street application. From my understanding the slots/holes are to allow gasses to escape from between the rotor & pad under hard braking conditions.

Hopefully I'll get some more input as to what a good rotor/pad combo is for daily driving.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

For normal driving slotted and/or drilled will not help with a soft pedal.

The first move towards ridding of a soft pedal is bleeding the brakes.
On a 25 year old car. I'd automatically call for new flex lines too.

As for using the DOT 4 in your garage. Brake fluid that has been opened and stored is not something that I'd pour into a car that I'm having problems with.