General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help from a diferential expert

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:15 PM
n2spd

Default Need help from a diferential expert

I replaced my rotors and brakes and the left rear rotor was scoring on the outside. The axle was walking out 3/16 and rubbing on the caliper bracket. I pulled the diff cover and there were some pieces of shim??? or baring in the oil. I pushed the axle back in and turned the carrier and the c clip fell out. The spider gears are chipped. I am going to buy a new carrier rather than rebuild the one I have but I need to know what is making the axle go back in so far. With the axle in the rotor clears the caliper bracket perfect but the end of the axle sticks out past the s clip so theres no way the c clip will stay in almost as if the axle were too long. Hope this makes sense. Thanks
Old 02-22-2010, 05:08 AM
Detailer_Dave
1st Gear Member

If the thrust washer behind the axle spider gear is gone, that will allow the gear to move towards the bearing end of the carrier, and toward the rotor, in essence. It would result in the axle having more end play, and causing the issues you had. It is normal for the spiders to push outwards due to the gear design. I would probably replace the carrier as well, since there is most likely damage to the thrust surface where the washer disintegrated.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 PM
n2spd

Makes sense to me. I found a new 28 spline carrier and axle bearings and seals for 199. Im asuming I will need two carrier bearings too. I have never worked on a differential before so this should be interesting.