General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold air vs warm air

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 05:10 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cold air vs warm air

Air is more condesne when its cold there for getting more.And lightsmith I get what your saying just bustin them
Old 07-27-2005, 05:39 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

ORIGINAL: _Shifty_

I still don't get how an engine is getting less air in summer, and more in winter. How is that?

The heater thing is irrelevant, as stated above, alt runs all the time.

The hotter combustion chamber seems feasible, can anyone confirm that? Don't all engines get up to a hot temperature eventually, though, regardless of outside temp?
1. The difference in engine temp should be zero degrees if your **** is running well. Your engine warms up and stays at a stable temp. when warm, so winter and summer engine temp should be the same.

2. when the air is denser, there are more molecules of oxygen per 4.6 liters of air, assuming you have a 4.6L engine. When your engine takes in air, it will take in 4.6 liters of air per cycle. During winter, there are more molecules of oxygen in the 4.6 liters, because it's colder and denser. During summer, it is hotter, molecules are spread out more. During summer, when your engine takes 4.6 liters of air, there is less oxygen in those 4.6L of air, and you will burn less fuel. the air/fuel ratio should be the same, so more air requires more fuel. It's the same reason your tires will have a higher pressure when hot vs. when cold. Got it?

-Professor thermodynamics
Old 07-27-2005, 05:41 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

also, I'm not sure a more complete burn will matter enough to give you more power, but it will reduce emissions.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:54 PM
_Shifty_
1st Gear Member

Okay, gotcha. So you're saying you get better mileage in summer, but better performance in cold weather?
Old 07-27-2005, 05:57 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

definitely correct. usually that's the case, better performance = crappier milage.

please notice I said usually.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:03 PM
_Shifty_
1st Gear Member

Thanks. So the exceptions to that rule, then, would be mods that improve efficiency, I guess. Like a better flowing exhaust, that would improve both mileage and performance, right?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

ORIGINAL: _Shifty_

I still don't get how an engine is getting less air in summer, and more in winter. How is that?

The heater thing is irrelevant, as stated above, alt runs all the time.

The hotter combustion chamber seems feasible, can anyone confirm that? Don't all engines get up to a hot temperature eventually, though, regardless of outside temp?
1. The difference in engine temp should be zero degrees if your **** is running well. Your engine warms up and stays at a stable temp. when warm, so winter and summer engine temp should be the same.

2. when the air is denser, there are more molecules of oxygen per 4.6 liters of air, assuming you have a 4.6L engine. When your engine takes in air, it will take in 4.6 liters of air per cycle. During winter, there are more molecules of oxygen in the 4.6 liters, because it's colder and denser. During summer, it is hotter, molecules are spread out more. During summer, when your engine takes 4.6 liters of air, there is less oxygen in those 4.6L of air, and you will burn less fuel. the air/fuel ratio should be the same, so more air requires more fuel. It's the same reason your tires will have a higher pressure when hot vs. when cold. Got it?

-Professor thermodynamics
Holy cra$! You answered something without being a smart ***.....[8D] j/k. Yep that's the answer!
Old 07-27-2005, 07:10 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

shifty was having issues with the science, so I had to take him to school! mwaaahahahaha. there, happy now?
Old 07-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

shifty was having issues with the science, so I had to take him to school! mwaaahahahaha. there, happy now?
^^^^

<Smacks Mr. Wizard Cap off Redass's head> There we go! Much better
Old 07-27-2005, 08:09 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I'm bill nye, the science guy. science rules!

Quick Reply: Cold air vs warm air