General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Buying a used Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 11:08 PM
Pejman

Default Buying a used Mustang

Hey, new to the forum and have a question. We are looking to get a used Mustang (99-04 style). Prefer GT, but considering a clean V6 also. Most of the Mustangs in our price range has anywhere from 80K to 110K miles on them. The main questions I can think of right now:

[ul][*] What are the common problems with mustangs with that high of millage?[*] What are the things I need to look/watch for in those cars?[*] How costly is the maintainance and repairs on these cars with high millage?[*] How does the auto tranny holds on these cars? (she only wants auto)
[/ul]

If you think there is anything else that I need to know, I'd appreciate if you post here

BTW, if you have or know of a clean 99-03 Mustang (below $10K) close to New Orleans, or Baton Rouge area let me know

Old 07-29-2005, 12:24 AM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Buying a used Mustang

the stags actually hold up well with that mileage. watch out for 99 i heard they had some problems. also finding a good stang is hard because a lot people drive them into the ground and dont maintain them, so youll want to be the second owner
Old 07-29-2005, 12:55 AM
Pejman

watch out for 99 i heard they had some problems.
Anything specific? Or just the usual screw ups of a new model?

a lot people drive them into the ground and dont maintain them
Yeah.. my main concern about buying a used muscle or sport car

And thanks

Old 07-29-2005, 01:42 AM

Well, some guys with stangs will beat their cars to ****, but most take good care of their car in my experience. You can get a stang to live over 200K, but another guy might eff the car up under 100K. Depends on the driver.

Have someone very knowledgable come with you to check out the car. So if there is a problem they can spot it.

Check ebay, autotrader.com, cars.com, carsdirect.com.....search all over, but don't commit until you check out the car yourself!

Old 07-29-2005, 02:07 AM
Pejman

Check ebay, autotrader.com, cars.com, carsdirect.com.....search all over, but don't commit until you check out the car yourself!
That's the problem. I am in New Orleans.. The two decent one I found are in Houston and Dallas.. I hate to drive 5-7 hours, especially when I don't know anybody there to bring along...

Another question thought:

Do Mustangs have oil leak problems? If so, how common? Reasons? And fixable?
Old 07-29-2005, 04:13 AM
babygurl2000
I ♥ Acer

i have a 2000 V6 and it doesn't have 80k on it yet. the only thing major i had to replace was the brakes and rotors in the spring but that was mostly my fault from storage last winter. the moisture ruined my rotors.

i have a stickshift and i think my clutch might need replaced in the spring but other than that mine doesn't burn a drop of oil and sounds and runs great.

Old 07-29-2005, 11:36 AM
03GTType
5th Gear Member

Pejman, how much roughly are you looking to spend? It looks like around 10,000. am I right?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Pejman

ORIGINAL: 01GTType

Pejman, how much roughly are you looking to spend? It looks like around 10,000. am I right?

To be honest around 8K is the pefect number.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:46 PM
03GTType
5th Gear Member

Damn, I just spent 30 minutes looking for a mustang in your area and your kind of screwed where your at.. hmmm I saw one for around 15,000 that was automatic Gt but thats it. Looks like your gettin' a 6..[&:]
Old 07-29-2005, 02:13 PM

Yeah for that price you'll probably end up getting a v6. Are you planning on doing any modding?
I got my v6 for $6500, a 2002 with 50k. You can find a good deal, just shop around!

Quick Reply: Buying a used Mustang