General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

how to paint rims?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 07:48 PM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

Default how to paint rims?

I wanted to paint my rims a high gloss balck... anyone know how to do this? and i know that some of you will not like the idea, but i would still like to know how its done.
thanks
Old 07-29-2005, 08:01 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Default RE: how to paint rims?

I'd use a spray paint. sand it and primer it REALLY well. you may need to hunt for primer that will work well on your rims. then paint several coats of the gloss black, making each coat as thin as possible. finish with some clearcoat. I dunno if you'll be able to find a paint that will be tough enough to work with wheels. better to have many thins coats than one thick coat. maybe you should buy some scrap metal of the same material as your wheel and practice with that before you go at the rims. oh yeah, I almost forgot... ricer! anyway, good luck.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:08 PM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

right right.... what about engine paint? that would work, its made for high heat. and i think that a yellow mustang, dropped, with shaved badges, and black rims, dark tinted windows, and the the black mustang lettering on the bumper would look sweet.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:19 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I think it would look good if you did the job right. engine paint might not look so good as far as finish. I don't think heat will be an issue, maybe on the inside right near the brakes, but I doubt it. i was just thinking about all the crap you will drive through (water, dirt, pebbles) and whether the paint will hold up to that. maybe something that is used for touch up jobs but in large quantities? maybe you can find a body shop that will paint them for like $100 if you do prep. work. post a pic if you go through with it.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:19 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I want black bullits for my car but I don't want to pay for them either.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:57 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Spray paint will never hold up to the heat and brake dust and all the other crap that happens to rims.They will look like crap in no time.If I was you I'd have them powder coated or have a body shop spray them.You might get a couple of months out of spray paint before it looks like crap
Old 07-29-2005, 09:10 PM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

saleen is right get them powered coated because itsn't going to come off like spray paint will, i don't think it would be that much if you were prep them then bring them.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:47 PM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

my original plan was to get them powder coated but i have posted on here several times about that and no one has responded. Ill have to look into that...

Old 08-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

Hi, I'm new to these forums.. Gotta work on the sig thing so give me a few days in that department,[sm=smiley2.gif]
I work for a place that does electro zinc plating, (looks like chrome) and powdercoating. I'm the operator of the zinc line and good friends with the powdercoating guys. I know somewhat about the powdercoating process and will try and answer any questions you may have, or can at least get the right answers if I cant answer the questions. We have powdercoated just about everything and anything we can get our hands on including rims which looked awesome. I've got a 66 coupe and 05 convertable... the 66 is done up awesome but needs some paint, the 05 looks great but needs to be done up.... "parts are already on the way".

I think powdercoating is the only way to go here.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:07 AM
5.woah!

You could take a hammer to powdercoating and will basically dent the metal before any chiping will happen. Do not go with spray paint, cause it wont last long. It will look worse then what you started with, unless your name ends with vanGogh. Dont go with a body shop cause they will charge more than powdercoating and it won't be as durable... Just powdercoat them. You'll save more if you prep them first. An even rubbing of fine wet/dry sand paper should do the trick, along with soap and a high power blast of water. If you want real advice just ask any electrostatic/powder coating shop. Good luck with you project!~drew

Quick Reply: how to paint rims?