General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Attaching "Mustang" Inserts

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 09:59 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default Attaching "Mustang" Inserts

I have an '04 Mustang GT, in black. I recently ordered some stainless steel inserts for the Mustang name on the back of my Mustang because I want it to show a little more than it does. The inserts came today, but I have no way of attaching them to my Mustang. I want something that won't damage the paint in any way in case I want to remove the inserts at a later date, but I also do not want them to come off unintentionally. What can I use, and where can I get it?
Old 08-01-2005, 10:05 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Default RE: Attaching "Mustang" Inserts

can you find really thin magnets, like for a fridge? super glue the inserts to those and pop em on. who knows if they'll stick tho. jus givin ideas.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:05 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

the bumper isn't metal is it? it's plastic isn't it? nevermind my idea
Old 08-01-2005, 10:09 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Had already considered that and would probably do it if the rear bumper were magnetic.

Thanks for the input though.

I don't plan on removing them any time soon, they are very likely to be there for a while... but it's better to be able to remove them without damage to the paint for who knows what reason somewhere later on down the line.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:14 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I think any way of attaching will have a good chance to hurt your paint upon removal, cause you need to attach the inserts very well or they will fall off. 3m double sided adhesive tape won't work without ruining paint?
Old 08-01-2005, 10:19 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

About the tape: possibly, it doesn't seem like it would hold well enough though. As soon as I wash my car and bump a letter, it would fall off, but that's just my prediction.

There has to be some type of glue or adhesive that will work. I don't want the paint to basically strip off when a letter comes off, I know there is going to be some damage done to the paint, but I want it as minor as possible.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

I can't believe the company that sells these didn't send some adhesive with them.Yellow 3M weatherstrip adhesive(Gorilla Snot) would hold them on with a minimal amount of adhesive,but it would require a strong solvent to remove such as MEK or toluene.Unfortunately these could also damage the paint.There are double sided tapes with foam in between the adhesives but some of these aren't reliable in high heat conditions.The tapes that are reliable are almost impossible to remove after the tape's adhesive hardens.Try calling the manufacturer of the letters and see if they have any ideas.They might have just missed putting the adhesive in the box.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:46 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

I was hoping they sent some, but I don't have any... These were a little on the cheap side, that teaches me to buy cheap stuff I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll go looking around for that. It gives me a place to start, otherwise I'm clueless here, don't even know what to search for.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:14 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

They should have come with tape on the back ready to go.3m double sided tape is the one and only way to do it.It can be bought at any car place.I like the magnetic answer...LOL that would have worked 20 years ago
Old 08-01-2005, 11:16 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Where did you get them from, this way i will NOT order them from them

i assumed that everyone who sent them gave you the tape/material to attach them with

thats pretty shatty if you ask me

good luck, hopefully you find something to use

Quick Reply: Attaching "Mustang" Inserts