General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

At a crossroads. Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:34 AM
Madlock

Default At a crossroads. Help needed.

I'm within days of needing to make a decision between a 2011 GT and Shelby GT500. I'll be damned if Ford didn't REALLY stick it to us all by making it so difficult to chose between the two, and I'd be grateful for any guidance that might help me make the best decision for myself.

This will be my winter-stored, diaper-polished, step-the-hell-back-away-from "baby" that I hope to own 30 years from now... kind of my own Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino when I'm 70. It won't replace a car, it's a separate purchase unto itself that I am buying purely for its own sake, and I'm fortunate enough that I've the wherewithal to fund either choice without compromising other life choices.

Of course, GT500 is simply the baddest boy on the block, and its relative exclusivity and the Shelby cachet will always be an advantage in retaining its value. It's both sledgehammer and scalpel, and I fully understand that it offers driving experiences the GT, no matter how terrific the GT may be, simply can't.

While this won't ever be a daily "daily driver", it's going to be a car that I'm going to drive, both in everyday situations and occasionally at a local track when I can. It's important to me that the vehicle be a well-behaved, pleasant-to-drive car in everyday situations. My biggest concern about GT500 is that it may be too "harsh" a vehicle, with too firm suspension that wouldn't allow my wife to enjoy a ride with me, or that its bias toward performance might come TOO much at the expense of being a comfortable car to drive and ride in.

In favor of GT is its ability to behave like a traditional passenger car when I'd like it to be one. I also very much like the Brick and Cashmere interior treatment that's only available on non-Shelby vehicles, and even little details like a power passenger seat and backup camera add to the vehicle.

Given everything I've read, the best way to have the GT500 is with the SVT Performance Pack, not only because it really helps put all that power to the road, but because it truly widens the experience between the $40K and $60K vehicle. While I personally don't care for the Performance Pack stripe treatment (particularly the limited choices compared to a standard GT500), I'm perfectly comfortable going with a Stripe Delete. But what I'd really hate to do in making what may be the "smart" buy (GT500 with SVT Package) would be to have a car that'd be at its best only on a track and much less enjoyable simply driving for the sake of being behind the wheel.

By contrast, the GT has a very nice ride that can be firmed with a handling pack which, (at least from what I understand), doesn't take away ALL of its comfort. Part of the problem is that there are really precious few places where one can actually experience each of these combinations before buying; and I've walked out of more than one dealer that HAS a GT500 in stock (and even standard GTs), but simply "doesn't 'do' Mustang test drives". (Personally, as a Ford shareholder, I'd love to offer-up to Dearborn the names of some dealers it would benefit from consolidating right out of business... but that's another harangue for another day.)

I'd really appreciate any useful guidance from anyone who'd care to share their relevant experiences with me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:22 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

soooo you want to have a car to "prize" in your garage 30 years from now and your conemplating between a shelby gt500 (and to add, the days of carroll shelby are not infinate) and a factory production mustang GT? the GT won't be anything to brag about except someone that kept a mediocre factory car in their garage when it should have been out racking up miles. the gt500 will retain all sorts of value and prize. the gt500 will not be unmanagable as far as power goes unless you are someone who does not need to be behind the wheel of a 500hp car in the first place. if the ride is too rough, some new springs and shocks will go a long way.

and before making assumtions of the ride quality of a shelby, have you even driven in one? i left a white stain on the passenger seat of the gt500 i rode in.

i say buy the shelby or some other similar car that is ment to be a garage queen. there is no way in **** i would buy a mustang GT over a shelby to be a 30 year garage queen.

Last edited by MU71L4710N; 07-28-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:43 AM
Madlock

Thanks for the insight and your opinion.

Yes, I do want a vehicle that will be as much garage prize as a pleasure to drive. I don't see the two as mutually exclusive.

Your presumptions about the GT being an unlimited mediocre resource, however, aren't necessarily true. Not only is the GT a superb mass production car that's a pisser to drive, with 2016 CAFE standards heading straight at us, the presumption that mass-market 400HP vehicles without any sort of substantial price penalty will always be available, or even available for several more years, may not be nearly as unlimited as you think.

And frankly, given the combinations of available colors, options, and interiors, I actually find GT to be more visually appealing of the two. The biggest problem I have with how Ford is bringing GT500 to market is that a premium product requires foregoing the ability to make many choices that have nothing to do with the vehicle's performance. One should expect to be restricted when pinching pennies, not opening-up one's wallet.

And yes, I do realize CS is not immortal; and that's likely to have some impact upon what GT500 eventually may become, but to presume that either business would summarily allow such a profitable business line to cease to exist without some sort of viable alternative (including continuing with as they are) is a pretty big assumption.

In a perfect world, I'd own a GT and GT500, one for running up miles, and one for running up the very best of miles. Of course, softening GT500 is most certainly possible, but both the cost and rationale of doing so to "dumb down" a vehicle I'd have already spent an ADDITIONAL $3,500 to pretty-much avail myself of better rubber, a 3.73 axle and tighter stance makes writing that check even harder.

With that said, yes; I've driven both (albeit a 2010 GT500), which is certainly close enough to give a reasonable impression of the 2011 in the aspects that I'm most concerned about. And while I'm most likely to opt for the fully-fitted GT500, I'd be remiss for not asking these (and other) questions to justify the vast price delta because, for everything GT500 happens to be, GT is a value by comparison the likes of which GT500 will never be.

So, thanks for your thoughts, and I'd look forward to those of anyone else who may have some helpful points of consideration to suggest. In the meantime, you'll forgive me if I don't offer you a ride in the passenger seat.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:19 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

ford will likely continue the "shelby" line even after carrolls death yes. however, to have a GT500 that was made during the era of carroll shelby, can have a significant impact on the scope of things versus a car that was just badged a shelby to continue the line of cars.

and while they may stop mass producing 400hp cars in 2016 also, the point i am trying to make is numbers. how many mustang GT's are bieng produced versus how many GT500s? if you just want a really nice car in your garage, the GT will be cool yes. but to have jaws drop and people start drooling the same way they do when someone opens the garage to show a pristine, original condition gran torino, will be the shelby.