General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

NEW CAR HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:06 PM
I Love Ricers

Default NEW CAR HELP PLEASE

Hello, I am brand new to this forum and would like some help. I have been looking at the 2004 Mustang GT(v8) for my first car. I was happy with it until I haerd about the z28 Camaro which is apparently cheaper and faster than the Mustang GT. I was planning on getting the Mustang at about $13K and getting a K&N cool air intake, Flowmaster exhaust, and a few other engine mods. What do you think would be better? Knowing this is a Mustang forum i'm guessing you guys would lean toward the Ford, but the Camaro I heard works very well with mods and it makes a big difference and the car comes stock at like 305HP. Please help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:44 AM
GTTex08
1st Gear Member

Don't just look at price and horsepower. Test drive both cars you're looking at, or more then just those two. There are things that you'll notice that can't be put on paper, like the gigantic frame of a Camaro blocking your vision...

There's a pretty big weight difference between a 2004 mustang (like 3000 pounds?) and a 2002 z28 (like 3600 pounds?) so it would need more horsepower to have similar performance.

If you're in Houston, I suggest checking out Texas Direct Auto http://texasdirectauto.com/ they've got some good deals, and they let you test drive without a dealer in the car. I called and scheduled a test drive, got there pretty early, had the keys handed to me and the guy said "Keep it under 100, don't cross any borders, and have it back before 5" - sweet. I ended up purchasing my mustang there too!
Old 07-30-2010, 02:07 AM
2005mystang
1st Gear Member

Before I bought my 05 GT I struggled with the same thing. I had a 98 z28 and loved it. It had some mods and was a lot of fun. When I test drove a Mustang I loved it even more. Plus the whole "Government Motors" to Ford weighed in on my decision. I also really loved the newer style of the Mustangs. After owning the stang I am super glad I made the decision I did. I enjoy driving the Mustang more than I did the Camaro. For some reason I feel that I am in more of a muscle car... I can't really explain that part of it.

My suggestion would be to test drive both and make your decision from there.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:23 AM
GTTex08
1st Gear Member

Plus you can even get a 2005 GT Premium for a few thousand more!

Or if you're gonna mod, why not go straight for a 2004 Cobra?

Man I feel like a car salesman... but for real, you can go test drive both of those, and a 2002 Camaro SS although they might be over your price point.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:29 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

first off 13k is WAY overpriced for a 04 mustang GT. you should be looking at a GT for about half that price. with the money you DIDNT spend on the 13k, buy a blower or nitrous and you'll be making some real power.

or for (actually less) than 13k, go check out a mach 1 or cobra. the 4v has alot more power than the 2v (96-04 mustang GT has a 2 valve motor, the mach 1's and cobras have a 4 valve motor. they make much better power)

the chevys are faster and the engines take VERY well to mods, where the 2v mustangs (96-04) do not. the 4v mustangs are not bad as far as power goes though and boltons will actually net some horses. but the 5.7L ls1's have always been beastly engines. the motor, in my opinion, is the only thing good about the f bodys (camaros and firebirds). the interior is hideous, the car feels kinda funny for me to drive, the hood feels like it takes up half the car, etc... my buddy has a mecham Z29 camaro and its a pretty fast *** car for bieng a factory, all motor with a couple boltons and suspension upgrades car. but i prefer having my mustang over a motor with some seats attached to it.

do yourself a favor. test drive some F body ls1's, some GT's (which you SHOULDNT pay anywhere near 13k for), and some 4 valve mustangs. see what you enjoy driving, see what feels good, etc... because if your willing to spend 13k for a GT, you can pay 7k for a GT and have plenty of money left over for a supercharger. or if you really do like the camaro/firebird, then get it.

Last edited by MU71L4710N; 07-30-2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:14 AM
I Love Ricers

Now that i've looked I have relized that 13K is way to much. I was looking at a 1993 Mustang Turbo Charged witha bunch of mods for like 9K, but I would rather by a car stock or close to it. I think i'm going to stick with the Mustang just not sure yet what kind.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:15 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I had a 93 Z and eventhough (in stock trim) the Z felt faster than my 03 GT, I still prefer the Mustang over the Camaro...
Old 07-30-2010, 10:58 PM
I Love Ricers

Mustangs just look so much better.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Stangman07

1.9% on 72 months interest on any 2010 Mustang, whether it be GT, V-6 or Saleen. With that said, i have a 2010 Racecraft Saleen kicking out 475 Horses, Black Leather, heated Seats, #02 (Vice Presidents car). Saleen Suspension, with thick sway bars, Supercharged, and under 3 year warranty. This car has 3:55's in the rear. A Corvette Stomper waiting for you ! mid 12's in the quarter (even a Novice driver). What do you think of that?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:26 AM
urbnmat

I think your about two months late for this thread

Quick Reply: NEW CAR HELP PLEASE