General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:49 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Default Steering problem?

With both front wheels off the ground on my girly's mustang, when I push at 9o'clock and pull at 3o'clock on the drivers side tire it will move inwards (toe-in), slowly about 1/2 inch and stop. At the same time, the passenger side tire will move out (toe-out) about 1/2 inch and stop. Same thing if I pull at 9o'clock and push at 3o'clock. I can see the rubber bellows things and the inner tie rod shafts on both sides of the steering rack moving, and the tie rod ends aren't moving at all. They just pivot as expected. The rack-n-pinion housing is also not moving. Doesn't matter if the wheels are both pointing straight ahead or to the right or left. Same problem.

When I do this procedure, I also hear a squishing type sound (like when you compress a shock absorber) coming from behind the front drivers side wheel well. Not sure what it is. Steering box or pump? It sounds like fluid moving. Any ideas?

Is this normal or something I should worry about? There is a little bit of slop in the steering wheel when driving, barely enough to notice. My dodge durango doesn't have these problems and it has a similar style, all be it bigger, rack-n-pinion.

Any ideas? Thanks...
Old 07-31-2010, 12:20 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Is it moving like it has some play in it or when you push are "both" the front wheels moving about a 1/2" and stopping? If it's the latter it's normal. It's just like turning the steering wheel without the key in the ignition, it will move a bit then lock. The squish sound is probably just power steering fluid.

Thats my guess anyways.

If the wheels have play in them side to side it's likely a tie rod issue that will likely get worse.

If you're not sure, put the key in the on position to unlock the steering wheel (don't start it) and try again.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:28 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
Is it moving like it has some play in it or when you push are "both" the front wheels moving about a 1/2" and stopping? If it's the latter it's normal. It's just like turning the steering wheel without the key in the ignition, it will move a bit then lock. The squish sound is probably just power steering fluid.

Thats my guess anyways.

If the wheels have play in them side to side it's likely a tie rod issue that will likely get worse.

If you're not sure, put the key in the on position to unlock the steering wheel (don't start it) and try again.
Yeah, both wheels move at the same time and then stop. It also takes a decent amount of force to make them move. The tie rods just pivot like normal. I'll try the test with the key in the ignition tomorrow morning. Thanks for the reply...

Last edited by petrock; 08-01-2010 at 03:32 AM.