General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HP/Torque Increase vs. State Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 02:39 PM
FormerNYer

Default HP/Torque Increase vs. State Inspection

I was looking through some sites for turbos and supercharging kits. I looked at their videos, went on YouTube, etc.

These videos claim that their Mustangs are 700, 800, 900+ rwHP. And I also see plates on their cars.

So how the hell are their rides reaching that level while passing their state inspections?
Old 07-31-2010, 03:53 PM
07 naja

734 RWHP here, no problem w/ state insp here in Fl cause... there isn't any.

Vic
Old 07-31-2010, 04:48 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

because its not horsepower that inspections go by. and there are WAY different inspections for every state.

MOST states, the amount of horsepower you have they won't even know about. they may just make you pass a sniffer test to make sure you have good cats, they may only care that you have cats, here in florida like he said there aren't even any inspections, some states you cant have any mods on the car unless they are CARB approved, etc...

basically, its not horsepower they care about. and all states are different, so without knowing where you live and the inspections there can't tell you whats legal and not. you can check with a local shop that does inspections and see what criteria they look for to pass you.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:07 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Yup, inspections vary by state.
My car passed TX smog with a fully built and SC'd motor. I run all my pollution control.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:59 PM
FormerNYer

TX is definitely a state that requires CARB qualifications. To get up there in HP, 700+, do these CARBs have to go?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

What part of tx? Some countys do some dont.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:00 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

CARB is actually a California thing. TX does do the sniffer, though. All states technically require all your stock pollution control - it's a federal law.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:28 PM
FormerNYer

Austin. I had a quick phone conversation with ART, down in Buda. They told me that there is no way to pass inspection with what I am asking.

Bottom line is, I want a SuperSnake Type car but I will not pay what Shelby is asking for the upgrade.

Back to the drawing board, I guess.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:42 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Im not sure about that I know a quiet a few guy with 600hp+ car with up to date inspections. Hell my car even pass with out any cats.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:22 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FormerNYer
Austin. I had a quick phone conversation with ART, down in Buda. They told me that there is no way to pass inspection with what I am asking.

Bottom line is, I want a SuperSnake Type car but I will not pay what Shelby is asking for the upgrade.

Back to the drawing board, I guess.
What are you trying to do? We might be able to help you out. Shoot, if I ran run a fully built motor with a Cobra blower on top without worries, I bet you can get what you want as a set up to pass.

Quick Reply: HP/Torque Increase vs. State Inspection