General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

timing is off!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 02:55 AM
Scooterman
2nd Gear Member

Default timing is off!

after putting in the new cap and rotor.. the timing has been off, can any1 tell me how to get the timing perfect for the engine or w/e... which way do u gotta turn the cap and rotor and do u need a timing light? can any1 provide me with some info in this department? thanks!
Old 08-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: timing is off!

Remove the cap and turn the engine over with a breaker bar to get the timing marks to line up with the pointer on the engine block.Make sure the rotor lines up with the #1 spark plug wire.Make a mental note of which way the rotor would turn with the engine running(I can't remember myself).Without a timing light this will be trial and error.Start the car and turn the distributor untill you get a good idle,not necessarily a fast idle but smooth.Then take the car out and run it and listen for detonation.If there is no detonation pull over and loosen the hold down bolt and turn the distributor just a little bit.Repeat this process untill you have as much advance as the car will tolerate without detonation.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

If you need help finding TDC, clean around cyl #1, remove the spark plug and wire, stick a rag or have someone hold there hand over the hole. Start turning the motor by hand, once the big poof of air shoots out the rag or hits your hand, you're at TDC.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Scooterman
2nd Gear Member

wow i honestly did not know this job would sound so complicated. so how long r we talking here to get the timing back to normal, hours? and is this really as hard as it sounds or piece of cake for some of you??
Old 08-12-2005, 06:12 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Why would the timing be off from changing a cap and rotor??????That shouldnt change the timing,are you sure you didnt screw up the firing order??You will never get the timing right with out a light it may run awesome and then youll shut if off and it wont start cause the timing is to advanced.I would get a light there cheap and you'll need it again anyways
Old 08-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Scooterman
2nd Gear Member

firing order is perfect, did it by the book, and yea it is possible for the timing to be off b/c of a change of cap and rotor
Old 08-12-2005, 07:15 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Not on any cap and rotor Ive done before it cant
Old 08-12-2005, 07:57 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scooterman

firing order is perfect, did it by the book, and yea it is possible for the timing to be off b/c of a change of cap and rotor

What?
Old 08-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Scooterman
2nd Gear Member

ok then if im wrong, what caused the timing to be off? im 110% positive that its off.. just tell me what the reason is behind it, and how long it would take to fix
Old 08-12-2005, 09:13 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Dude its not cause when you changed the cap the timing went out of whack.......Trust me I didnt say that for my health.Anyone who's says different is an idiot.The only way that could happen is if you turned the the distributer while you were doing it.I guarantee you have the firing order wrong on the cap or the plugs......One of the two

Whats the car doing.....Start by that not you telling us what it is,It might work alot better that way.And by the way you dont need to find top dead center to check the timing dont know why they said that??????

Quick Reply: timing is off!