General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fan still runs constently...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 06:08 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

Default Fan still runs constently...

I replaced the coolant temperature sensor and the CCRM and thats what Ford said to replace. Well that didnt fix it and they are not sure what to do. I was reading up on the PCM(powertrain control module) and it says that it also runs the fan like the CCRM and controls the fan speed with the air on. Anyone know anything about the PCM? The guy at Ford said the electrician wasnt in so he couldnt tell me if that could be the problem. My cars got electric grimlins in it!
Old 08-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fan still runs constently...

INVISIBLE electrical gremlins!!!!!!Sorry I don't know either but you could take the car to Advance or Autozone and see if they can pull any codes.Btw does it matter whether the A/C is on or off?
Old 08-13-2005, 09:04 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

Let's not loose our heads here. There is no such thing as electrical gremlins. There are some real life gremlins living in the woods with Santa Claus, but there are no electrical gremlins under your hood!

What's CCRM?

There are two coolant temperature sensors, at least it was the case on NPI 4.6L controlled by ECC-IV. One is for the gage, the other is for computer. Which one did you change?

Either connector or wiring could be broken from the sensor to ECC-V. Make sure connector is not broken or corroded. With connector off measure resistance of your sensor. Then put connector back on and remove ECC-V harness, check resistance of the same sensor using appropriate pins on ECC-V harness. It should not be too much different.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:58 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

Sorry I don't know either but you could take the car to Advance or Autozone and see if they can pull any codes.Btw does it matter whether the A/C is on or off?
There are no codes and with the a/c on the fan should run faster but the fan already runs full speed.

What's CCRM?
Constant control relay module. It controls the fans speed.

There are two coolant temperature sensors, at least it was the case on NPI 4.6L controlled by ECC-IV. One is for the gage, the other is for computer. Which one did you change?
My non-pi aluminum crossover has only one coolant sensor because its older than a 99.

Ok well thanks for playing but does anyone know anything about the Powertrain control module? The fan motor is fine so I'm gonna go look at my wire diagram and start looking for problem from the air conditioning side of it, because the PCM controls that.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:22 AM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

/Bump
Old 08-14-2005, 01:43 AM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

Anyone at all know about the PCM or am I going to have to call Ford on monday???
Old 08-14-2005, 01:09 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

try finding the relay switches for the fan. There should be 2 of them although i dont know the exact location on the 99. If one of the relays goes bad it could cause your fan to stay running constantly. Sorry i cant be more help, good luck though.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:27 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

I know one of the relays come off the PCM, im gonna run through my wire diagram and hopefully find the problem today.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:25 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

i think one of them is in the wheel well which is a pain to get to but i think thats the easiest one to get to. good luck
Old 08-14-2005, 07:04 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

The CCRM is in the wheel wheel and I changed that yesterday and it didnt help. I'm pretty sure its the Powertrain controle module but I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this before I go and spend another hundred and not fix it.

Quick Reply: Fan still runs constently...