General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

pins in a cf hood?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 03:04 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

Default pins in a cf hood?

Hey guys I want to put hood pins on my car. I don't like the look of pins it looks really ricey to me unless their on a straight drag car but, had a 95 cobra with a fiberglass hood that flew up on me and don't want to risk it again.
As far as drilling the holes is there anything special or just start small and work my way up? The hoods already painted. I don't want to do something wrong and ruin the hood by trying to drill when I was supposed to start with something else. the pins I got didn't have instructions.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:53 PM
thor'svr4

if you don’t like the look of pins then don’t go with something that looks like pins. grab a set of aero-catch hood pins or twist latch / quick latch hood pins. no-one ever said you had to sacrifice looks for performance. You mentioned that you had a carbon fiber hood, if you want something that doesn’t stand out why not pick up something like this

They should blend into your hood pretty well and have a flush mount option where the bulk of the setup is installed from the underside of your hood, that way all you will see is the ‘egg’ shaped top, but since that will be flush with the hood and be of the same material it should blend in pretty well so that most people wont notice the hood pins.

Just be careful when you choose the spot to put the pins in. your hood comes down in an arc, if of your pins are angled slightly toward the front bumper (top of pin more toward the front bumper than the bottom of the pin) your hood will never close smoothly. I found the best spot to mount the pins so they would work best with the curve of my hood AND the angle the hood comes down on. This meant I had to mount my pins sideways, whatever works best for you. Once you mount the pins put a bit of paint on the top of the pins then gently close the hood. The wet paint from the top of the pins will leave a mark on the hood and tell you where to cut. Take your time and it should turn out good.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:42 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

I already have pins that I picked up from autozone. And the hoods painted black so the carbon fiber would stick out more. I don't mind it that much.
I'm just afraid of drilling and having the paint crack or crack the hood. I've never done anything with carbon fiber.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:45 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Like you said, start small and work up to the size hole you need. If you make a small mistake, the hood pin plate should cover it.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:55 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

My other problem is that the hood isn't aligned anywhere close. I think I'm just gonna have a shop align the hood and put the pins in. I had a strut tower brace on the car that didn't let the hood close all the way so instead of taking it off the old owner put a ****load of washers on the hinges to make it work.
At least that way if the hood flies up on me I'll have someone else to blaim haha.
Last time I had my 95 cobra for maybe 2 weeks and the hood flew up on me maybe a mile from my house while making a high speed run. since then I've learned not to crap in my own neighboorhood haha.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:38 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pk222
Hey guys I want to put hood pins on my car. I don't like the look of pins it looks really ricey to me unless their on a straight drag car but, had a 95 cobra with a fiberglass hood that flew up on me and don't want to risk it again.
As far as drilling the holes is there anything special or just start small and work my way up? The hoods already painted. I don't want to do something wrong and ruin the hood by trying to drill when I was supposed to start with something else. the pins I got didn't have instructions.
I agree. Hood pins look rice to me. But I can live with them because they are a classic item on many classic muscle cars.
However, and they ARE rice if they are FAKE hood pins. Fake pins just for the appearance are rice because they are POSER (just like the majority of all the rice S*** ricers put on their cars; all show and absolutely no function, utterly useless).

As for your CF hood on your '95 Cobra coming off, you just met Jacob Bernoulli:

http://star.tau.ac.il/QUIZ/05/Q07.05.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZlFn...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxeLE...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2mmp...eature=related
Old 11-22-2010, 04:23 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

ya with all the louvers in the hood there probably isn't to much lift on it but after my last mustang I'm not willing to risk it and even worse in a convertable.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:37 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

That is a good point. If your hood has heat extractor cut-outs, you will see a significant drop in the low pressure above the hood and you also cool your engine more effectively too

Bernoulli requires a large are for the low pressure to act upon to rip the hood open, and the heat extractor cut-outs, provided they are large enough, will negate your hood from ever being lifted off (unless your car begins to run at the speed of sound.)
Old 11-23-2010, 12:25 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

The louvers are big. theres a big reverse louver in the front thats right above the pulleys from all the rain thats been going through it right there it rusted one of them or something and now its chirping.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:45 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

I put the pins in. It came out pretty bad. The pins I got were too short. Their in but barely. Even with the bottom nut on only by half the threads. I guess it will work for now though. has anyone else had this problem? The pins are so tight that I have to lean on the hood hard and force the pins through the holes.

Quick Reply: pins in a cf hood?