General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Will a Cobra 6spd fit onto my 03' Mach 1 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 12:32 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default Will a Cobra 6spd fit onto my 03' Mach 1 engine?

I would assume so seeing that they are both mod motors and the same damn block but what I am looking at figuring out is are there different flywheels and clutches used between the two and what other small misc crap might get in the way? I have the 03' Mach1 EEC, will that have to be calibrated for the 6spd?

The reason why I am asking is because we got a 2004 Cobra in the yard and I am going to grab the engine for $175 dollars and the transmission for $80 bux and the whole front suspension and K-Member for $100. Yes I know, Im a lucky bastard!

You see the engine will be going into Aprils 96' V6 stang (Got the rearend out of a 99 GT)
but she hates 6spds and loves 5spds so I am going to trade her transmission because I love 6spds more then 5spds. The 6spd 04' Cobra that I test drove was the smoothest shifting car I have EVER driven!

Now as the for rims, 3 are perfect and I will be picking those up at $150 bux for the set and the Interior for $29.99 a bucket and $35 bux for the rear MUWAHAHAHAHA [8D][8D][8D] I am going to grab the dash out of it if its not too thrashed (Costs only $45 dollars) if its thrashed then I will get the guage cluster for $25 bux. And thats about it, there isnt much more that I want from it.

Now the story with this car and why it came into Pick-N-Pull is that it was being transported on a truck for sale at a dealership and it fell off the truck at 55mph and rolled and rolled and rolled and rolled and then hit some stuff and rolled some more.
There is NO usable exterior peice to this car and luckitly the engine wasnt hurt and Im hoping that the K-Frame and front suspension isnt bad off either.

I might concider looking at the Audio equipment in it but I dont know if its all that great. We have the Mach460 in Aprils car already.

Welp so I want to swap those two trannies between those two engines, how well will it work and what will I need?

Thanks everyone!

-Eric-
Old 08-29-2005, 12:36 AM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Will a Cobra 6spd fit onto my 03' Mach 1 engine?

You're a lucky bastard!

Pick up Mustang Chassis, Driveline & Suspencion tuning. $12 on Amazon. They have a chapter discussing the swap. ECU doesn't have to be calibrated.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:45 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Ok, I'll order tonight.

I have to figure out the steps I need to take to remove the whole front suspension from the mangled car so it will probably be helpfull in that.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:35 AM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

It has a chapter on K member install, so that tells you how to remove that from cobra. Though, K member from cobra is upgradable to an aftermarket tubular K member. Cost $800+.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:19 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Ya, the QA1 is a pretty sweet kit! If the K-Member is messed up then I will snag the suspension, the shocks, rotors, callapers and all those other expensive goodies.
I am going to check barns and noble to see if they have the book in so I dont have to wait for shipping to get it to me.

Man I have to wait 2 more days before I can start working on this car, I CANT WAIT! [:@]
Welp anyways, im off to work.

-Eric-
Old 08-29-2005, 03:41 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

yeah, i was guna say that you should snag the brakes too. That's AWESOME dude. I want it for myself LOL.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:20 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

Why not grab the IRS, fuel tanks, and fuel pumps while you're at it?
You'll need the extra fuel for the cobra motor. Dont forget the intercooler either. and uh, well, grab the radiator too cause it should be better, and those seats will ebay for $1000+ Not to mention, the gauge cluster, ecu for the car getting the engine. Doubt they are ok but even check the wipers cause they are better than your mach1's Nice find man.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:59 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

ALot of that stuff is damanged like the rad and intercooler, as for the IRS I dont know the condition of it.

The drivers seat is kinda bent at a 45 degree angle, is there any way to fix that?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:40 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NeoTokyo

Now as the for rims, 3 are perfect and I will be picking those up at $150 bux for the set and the Interior for $29.99 a bucket and $35 bux for the rear MUWAHAHAHAHA [8D][8D][8D] I am going to grab the dash out of it if its not too thrashed (Costs only $45 dollars) if its thrashed then I will get the guage cluster for $25 bux. And thats about it, there isnt much more that I want from it.

You're likely to have a host of problems with the new instrument cluster, I bought a new one for my 04 GT and it fits fine of course, but my rear defroster is always on (easy fix, I pulled the fuse for the defroster, I hope to never have to use it anyway, summer vehicle only), and the car will not start because of the anti-theft system... apparently the key code is stored in your speedometer cluster as well as the mileage and who knows whatever else... be sure to get a key for the cluster you plan on using.

(I'm taking my new cluster and both my keys to my Ford dealership today to have them transfer the mileage and other information over, and give me new keys if necessary... what a hassle this simple swap turned in to.)
Old 08-31-2005, 03:02 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fallstar01

Why not grab the IRS, fuel tanks, and fuel pumps while you're at it?
You'll need the extra fuel for the cobra motor. Dont forget the intercooler either. and uh, well, grab the radiator too cause it should be better, and those seats will ebay for $1000+ Not to mention, the gauge cluster, ecu for the car getting the engine. Doubt they are ok but even check the wipers cause they are better than your mach1's Nice find man.

Why would you want that???It sucks everyone is taking them out and replacing it with an 8.8 cause they cant handle the power.And as for dropping the K-frame its very easy there is 4 bolts that hold it up after you remove all the things that are connected such as wiring and exhaust and crap it drops right down very easy

Quick Reply: Will a Cobra 6spd fit onto my 03' Mach 1 engine?