General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

used turbos

Old 08-29-2005, 08:11 PM
88tx50

Default used turbos

finally got my '88 coupe out of the garrage and on the road. runs great and pretty strong at 300rwhp NA.
but im hungry for more. i have a buddy upgrading his turbo on an eclipse he says he could hook up
his old turbo on my stang. IS THIS POSSIBLE? the turbo would be free.

thanks for time and help
Old 08-29-2005, 11:33 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: used turbos

if you have the right brackets
Old 08-30-2005, 12:32 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Tell us what the turbo size and model is. Is it the stock turbo? If so what year?
At pick-N-Pull I can find turbo's all day long and the best stock ones that I see out there are the AiResearch T3 models on BMW's and Mercedes. If we ever got any TT Z's in then it would be those. The Single Tubro 300ZX's arent that great.

With the right **** it would be good, you can tune it so that you can run higher compression and still be OK, to an extent.

What compression are you running? What kind of upper intake do you have and throttle body?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:35 AM
JohnChule
2nd Gear Member

Its probably a 13g turbo.........they came stock on 1st and i think 2nd gen cars. They are a good tubro but make sure it has no shaft play or doesnt burn oil.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:24 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Two eclipse turbochargers are WAY to small. The ones from twin turbo 350Z's are also too small for a 5.0, especially one making 300whp.

If you are sure it's at 300whp you need to go with something close to 60mm .60 A/R on both hot & cold sides

T-bird turbo coupes are good for them, usually people can get away with running the ones from an automatic (which have smaller turbos), but if you are actully putting down those numbers you need the ones from a 5 speed.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:04 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 88tx50

finally got my '88 coupe out of the garrage and on the road. runs great and pretty strong at 300rwhp NA.
but im hungry for more. i have a buddy upgrading his turbo on an eclipse he says he could hook up
his old turbo on my stang. IS THIS POSSIBLE? the turbo would be free.

thanks for time and help
You have the ability to fab headers or $$ to purchase the headers you need? Piping?
Old 08-30-2005, 02:49 PM
88tx50

it is 300rwhp, just got it chiped and dyno'd. im using the typhoon upper and lower with a 70mm throtle body. 10:1 compression.
its coming of a dsm elcipse, a stock turbo. not sure the yr at the moment. i figured it was small. if i could i would buy a big one.
this is a freebie. and im not trying to run too much boost. its a built engine but stock block.
i was told i could find turbos at the junk yards. how often do you see these things still there. im in san diego, i know where a couple are at.

i can come up with the money for the piping and prob fab some headers to work. if not ill just charge it.

appreciate the help
Old 08-31-2005, 11:19 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

it is 300rwhp, just got it chiped and dyno'd. im using the typhoon upper and lower with a 70mm throtle body. 10:1 compression.
its coming of a dsm elcipse, a stock turbo. not sure the yr at the moment. i figured it was small. if i could i would buy a big one.
this is a freebie. and im not trying to run too much boost. its a built engine but stock block.
i was told i could find turbos at the junk yards. how often do you see these things still there. im in san diego, i know where a couple are at.

i can come up with the money for the piping and prob fab some headers to work. if not ill just charge it.

appreciate the help
two eclipse turbo's are too small reguardless of boost psi.
Doesn't matter if you don't plan on running little boost. The turbo is too small reguardless of boost #'s. If you can find a used 5speed T-bird turbo coupe,
Old 09-01-2005, 06:37 PM
88tx50

well after talking to some others, im told my compression is too high.
its 10.1 right now. so i would have to use methenal also.

going to look into it more. might just use juice too get were i wanna be now.
pistons are forged, so once im done with those ill lower my compression.

thanks for all the help.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:44 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

well after talking to some others, im told my compression is too high.
its 10.1 right now. so i would have to use methenal also.
No, not for low-mid boost. The aftercooler will also play a big role in this

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: used turbos