General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stereo Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 03:15 PM
00GT

Default Stereo Questions..

hey, ive got a '00GT Mach 460 sound system in it, anyway, it has a tap[e deck and a cd player from the factory but they are both seperate units. I want to install my Amplifier and subwoofer but i dont ahve any experience installing stereo s**t in a car with seperate cd/tape deck units, anyone have any experience doing so? if so id love the help. im going to be using the factory cd deck and tape deck. i guess i just need to know #1, is it even possible to hook an amp up with my factory s**t, and #2, if it is possible, i want to make sure the sub wont only work with the cdplayer or only wiht the tape/radio. i want to make sure it will work with both
Old 12-05-2003, 03:53 PM
88SaleenStang
2nd Gear Member

i dunno but i wouldnt recomened hooking up the stock unit up to an amp..it might give too much power and u may end up blowing ur stuff..i will talk to my friend tonite though he installs stereo for a living so Ill let u know for sure...
Old 12-05-2003, 03:57 PM
00GT

okay, but i dont see how it would blow anything, the factory deck is gonna put out less power than any aftermarket deck. maybe if it was hooked up wrong or it short circuits it could fry the deck. other than that i dont see it happening.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:12 PM
88SaleenStang
2nd Gear Member

do u have an rca output? hey im talking to my friend now so if u gotta screenanme or an aim name or something im me on InkyPad316...<edited><editID>88SaleenStang</editID><editDate>37960.593912037</editDate></edited>
Old 12-05-2003, 04:32 PM
ninjzx998
1st Gear Member

If you get an amp with line connectors you can tap into your speaker wires.Else you need to do a conversion splicing the line feed and connecting to RCA plugs.I found a few good sites for adding subs to Mach systems</P>

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/despeeds1.htm</P>

Just do a google search for the Mach 460. This question comes up all the time on a few of the other Mustang forums. Unfortunately my question about the Mach 1000 upgrade harness does not : (</P>
Old 12-05-2003, 07:51 PM
whitelightning
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ninjzx998

If you get an amp with line connectors you can tap into your speaker wires.Else you need to do a conversion splicing the line feed and connecting to RCA plugs.I found a few good sites for adding subs to Mach systems</P>

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/despeeds1.htm</P>

Just do a google search for the Mach 460. This question comes up all the time on a few of the other Mustang forums. Unfortunately my question about the Mach 1000 upgrade harness does not : (</P>
This is true you can tap into the speaker line to get signal to the new amp. You will not hurt the decks and you will get sound from both cd and cass. i don't recommend learning on the mach 460 though, If you don't know what you are doing, it may be best to bite the bullet and have a stereo shop do the work!! It can be done and it shouldn't set you back tooo much.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:24 PM
00GT

<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

i have experience installing systems....i had a 93 lx5.0 that i put a system in a few years back BUT, i had an aftermarket deck and the 93 was much simpler and basic lol</P></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-06-2003, 07:46 PM
whitelightning
1st Gear Member

The fox body radios are much more basic and imo it;s always easier to start with all new equipt. The mach 460's can be a pain, I know I had to resurect mine because when I bought the car some idiot had stolen the decks and chopped all the connectors off! What an a**, I can't stand a thief!!!
Old 12-06-2003, 08:11 PM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

right now I'm wiring a system off the stock head unit for my 02 V6. Stock it comes with a CD and Cassette player so I'm happy. I'm mostly doing it this way to deter thieves since I had my entire eclipse system stolen out of my last car. Back to the setup though. I'm tapping off the speaker outputs from the headunit and running them back to the truck into the speaker level inputs on my two Alpine amps (models MRP-F240 &amp; MRP-M350). After that I am running brand new (yes, brand new) speaker wire from the amps to the speakers. Its very easy to do all this yourself.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:07 AM
bmorrisj
3rd Gear Member

get some high-low converters, it converts the speaker wire outputs (high) to rca output (low) then it goes to the amp and back to the speakers... and good hi-low converters have a input gain adjustment..<edited><editID>bmorrisj</editID><editDate>37962.0060300926</editDate></edited>

Quick Reply: Stereo Questions..