General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Muffler Delete? Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:51 AM
sangria7
1st Gear Member

Default Muffler Delete? Any good?

So I have seen people doing the muffler delete?

Besides being louder what effects does it have on the overall car:
1. Does it increase/decrease MPG?
2. Does it increase/decrease power?
3. Does it work well with a cold air intake?
4. Anything else anyone may want to bring up.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:41 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sangria7
2. Does it increase/decrease power?
Debatable on if you'll get any benefits. You'll lose back pressure that the motor needs to run efficiently. Keep forgetting if that effects low end or high end torque. I'm guessing low end.

4. Anything else anyone may want to bring up.
You'll fail inspection, get pulled over a lot, get plenty of tickets, and annoy your neighbors or any neighborhood you happen to drive through making all mustangs look bad in the process... Just sayin'...

I'd just go with a high flow muffler instead of deleting it all together.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:42 AM
Demonhead
1st Gear Member

Have you considered taking your cats off? It might sound better than just taking the mufflers off if your looking to get that great muscle sound
Old 06-22-2011, 05:01 AM
sangria7
1st Gear Member

Agreed - ordered some Dynomax Cat Backs!
Old 06-22-2011, 06:34 AM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
Debatable on if you'll get any benefits. You'll lose back pressure that the motor needs to run efficiently. Keep forgetting if that effects low end or high end torque. I'm guessing low end.

You'll fail inspection, get pulled over a lot, get plenty of tickets, and annoy your neighbors or any neighborhood you happen to drive through making all mustangs look bad in the process... Just sayin'...

I'd just go with a high flow muffler instead of deleting it all together.
that's not entirely true...I passed inspection, i drive by cops all the time and don't get pulled over...i actually get compliments from cops...it all depends on how you are driving...if you're driving like a d!ckhead ricer, then you're gunna get pulled over...you "might" annoy your neighbors, some like it some don't, but making mustangs look bad is a stretch...alot of older people thinkback in the day when they had stangs or wanted one...my friends and i always get compliments from older people, it comes back to how you are driving your car

and to answer your third question OP, they work great with CAI...i have the JLT and MRT muffler deletes and it gave it a deeper growl, sounds very good
Old 06-22-2011, 02:04 PM
sangria7
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the responses.

I think I will be doing the Catbacks + CAI + Tuned to Performance SCT + 93 Octane Fuel
Old 06-22-2011, 02:22 PM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

I think I will be doing the Catbacks + CAI + Tuned to Performance SCT + 93 Octane Fuel
if you are going to do a CAI and tuner combo i'd go with American Muscle or Brenspeed...i kno when you go through american muscle you get free tunes for life, not sure if brenspeed doesn that, but either one of those will give you great gains
Old 06-22-2011, 02:48 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
You couldn't be more wrong. Now I understand that CA doesn't allow much in the world of car modding, but please. Muffler deletes making all mustangs look bad? Gimme a break, I run full length longtubes, and O/R midpipe, and I've never been pulled over and passed inspection.

I wouldn't go for a "Cat back" which includes the over axle pipes. Just get the axle back and thats all you'll need.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 AM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

so youre talking straight up removing the muffler? Shoot I would just weld a turn down on that muffler and dump it under the car. youll get a slightly louder sound and no one will be the wiser

Last edited by machracer11; 06-29-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Lambertj166

Smile

I have a 2009 4.6L v8 GT. Everything is stock except a k&n cold air intake and muffler deletes. Sounds great!!! haven't noticed any performance increase or decrease. It has more base to it than a v6 or i4 , so don't worry about the fart can noise. My nahabor is a sherif and here in ca thay tend to really care about noise. I took him for a ride and he said the noise was fine. Mpg is the same. get a delete if you have a v8, it will really bring out the muscle car sound!!!!

Quick Reply: Muffler Delete? Any good?