General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:01 AM
mechanic noob

Default suggestions please

im 15 and my grandparents handed their 81 mustang down to me for first car. my dad refuses to teach me about cars because being a mechanic didnt pan out for him. so i was looking for any suggestions that anyone had. any suggestoins are welcomed very much appreciated. thank you.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

First - WELCOME TO MF! So what do you want to know? How the car works? Is something broken and your looking to fix it? The good news for you is Fox's are EVERYWHERE! You shouldnt have a single problem finding just about any parts for it.
My first car was a 85 4 Eye and that car was amazing.

Matthew
Old 08-10-2011, 09:50 PM
mechanic noob

As far as an engine fir I'm going to swap the 4 cylinder for a 6 cylinder and twin turbo that. I think it needs brakes and a new clutch. That's all ideally know for now because I haven't had much time to look at between baseball and work so I have to get my friend up to my house to help me take a look at it.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:11 PM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

my suggestion would be to go to auto zone and buy yourself a haynes manual for the car. It will give you thorough instructions on how to replace/repair pretty much any part on the car. also, read around on the forums, there is ton of info on engine swaps. i personally would go with a 5.0L v8 swap as opposed to a TT v6 because it would be much cheaper and easier, but thats up to you. good luck with whatever you do.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by mechanic noob
im 15 and my grandparents handed their 81 mustang down to me for first car. my dad refuses to teach me about cars because being a mechanic didnt pan out for him. so i was looking for any suggestions that anyone had. any suggestoins are welcomed very much appreciated. thank you.
Congrats on the car. Does your high school offer an auto shop? That's where I learned most of my basics from at your age. After that I worked at several auto parts stores part time through college and a couple shops.

Haynes manuals are good too but you need to understand how find information in them otherwise it's like having a chemistry book and being told to get water and create hydrogen. Can't get the answer if you don't know how to look it up.

Sucks about your dad. I've taught all three of my kids about cars because it's a good life skill to have. Both my daughters talk rings around their male friends about cars and the 'common sense' will keep them from getting ripped off at a shop if/when they have to take their own cars in.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:24 PM
mechanic noob

Thanks to all of u and I'm taking power tech next year.(auto shop)