General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Track to Street

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 PM
dbell34

Default Track to Street

Hello All,

I inherited a 83' Capri from my father that was primarily a mid-9 track car. Me not being a real race enthusiasts I don't want to sell the car but I do want to get some use out of it. I am looking to find a fox body and do a swap, but my biggest problem I have is going from a track car to a street car. I want to know if anyone could give me some direction as to what would be the easiest way (not necessarily the cheapest) to accomplish this? Is this possible, or does it even make sense to attempt? Keep in my that I don't know what is exactly done to the car as far as engine mods; port size, cam, lifters, etc. I do know that it is a 351W.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:51 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Welcome to MF! Sorry i can't help you with your question (i own a 04 gt) but i just happen to notice that you're from MI. Where abouts if you don't mind my asking?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 PM
dbell34

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Welcome to MF! Sorry i can't help you with your question (i own a 04 gt) but i just happen to notice that you're from MI. Where abouts if you don't mind my asking?
Macomb Twp.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:14 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Damn ever since i moved back from the Detroit area it seems like all MI members are out that way now lol.

I'm in the Howell area, and i think we have like 2 members out this way lol.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:31 PM
dbell34

Yeah, this seems to be a very popular area lately!
Old 09-07-2011, 04:44 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

What parts are you looking to 'swap'?
Got back to a stock motor and suspension?

I bet you can actually turn a profit selling the race parts for $$.
Even better yet, trade for stock parts + $$ and you make sure to get exactly what you need.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:45 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

There are a ga-zillion street cars available, why convert one that's customized for track back to street? Dumb waste of money IMO
Old 09-08-2011, 12:20 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbell34
Hello All,

I inherited a 83' Capri from my father that was primarily a mid-9 track car. Me not being a real race enthusiasts I don't want to sell the car but I do want to get some use out of it. I am looking to find a fox body and do a swap, but my biggest problem I have is going from a track car to a street car. I want to know if anyone could give me some direction as to what would be the easiest way (not necessarily the cheapest) to accomplish this? Is this possible, or does it even make sense to attempt? Keep in my that I don't know what is exactly done to the car as far as engine mods; port size, cam, lifters, etc. I do know that it is a 351W.

Thanks for any advice!
If you don't know the specific mods, just post as many detailed pics as you can, and we'll make suggestions from there. You probably don't need to swap the parts to a different body. I mean, unless it's a Pro Mod, (wouldn't be a mid 9-sec car), you can probably have the roll bar removed in an afternoon. Easy peasy.

Post pics and we'll get you squared away.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:55 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreyStang
There are a ga-zillion street cars available, why convert one that's customized for track back to street? Dumb waste of money IMO
I would guess personal reasons since it was his Dad's car.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 PM
dbell34

Originally Posted by GreyStang
It was my fathers car and I don't want to get rid of it, but I don't want to let it just sit either. I would prefer to drive it if possible/reasonable.

@UPRshared, I will try to post some pics this weekend! The reason I said swap bodies was because I figured it might be cheaper/easier than trying to replacing the missing parts.

Quick Reply: Track to Street