General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Purple Hornies!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 11:59 PM
FoRdBoY357
2nd Gear Member

Default Purple Hornies!

I have plans for a pair of Flowtech Purple Hornies coming off of a pair of Hooker Super-Comp headers on a 302. Purple Hornies are the glasspack exhaust you usually see on Jeeps. They are 2 feet long that bolt directly to the headers. Does any body know what I'm talking about? Are these good choices?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:25 AM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Purple Hornies!

Cherry bombs is the closest to that sound. They're still glasspacks, and glasspacks are ennoying. But get what you like

Click here for a catalog of sounds
Old 09-14-2005, 01:09 AM
razarr69
2nd Gear Member

yeah i know what your talking about, they sound like a typical glasspack. lots of ppl from round here put them on there trucks, sure there are really loud and snappy but i dont think theyd suit a stang very good, go with a race bullet if you want that style and it will give a pretty good sound too. but the header pipe type of thing is pretty sweet tho.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:49 AM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

I was going through sounds and I really like these: MAC FlowPath Muffler, sound found in 4.6L section of that linky in my first post.

I even like the sound of that thing better than the flowmaster 40.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:46 PM
mach1racer

I have a 68' Coupe 200ci 6 banger (As if the other two stangs werent enough!) that has single 2.5" exhaust and a 20" cherry bomb and EVERYONE always asks me if I have a 289 in that car and I tell them that its only a 6 banger and they ALWAYS have to check my engine to make sure. It sounds great and if the PH's sound as good then get them, just watch for cops!

Summit has an adjustable resonator that you can put inside your collector that will lower the sound a little, good luck!

~April~
Old 09-14-2005, 06:11 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Those are junk, buy real mufflers they sound better and flow better.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:08 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

Actually no muffler outflows even the cheapest glasspack. A thing called race mufflers, for example edelbrock race mufflers, or SLP race mufflers, they are no mufflers they're high quality glasspacks.

The longer the glasspack the queter it will be. A rule of thumb is to get 1 foot for engine with cats, and 2 feet for engine without cats. ****, glasspacks are enoying, I had them.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:45 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: 4600cc

Actually no muffler outflows even the cheapest glasspack. A thing called race mufflers, for example edelbrock race mufflers, or SLP race mufflers, they are no mufflers they're high quality glasspacks.

The longer the glasspack the queter it will be. A rule of thumb is to get 1 foot for engine with cats, and 2 feet for engine without cats. ****, glasspacks are enoying, I had them.
No those are straight through mufflers, and even though they might use fiberglass or a similar material to help deaden noise, they do not even similar sound to "Glass Packs" if you ever look into an old school glass pack you will see why, they have little ridges that disrupt the airflow, a muffler such as a Dynomax Bullet and the ones you mentioned will not have any ridges. If glass packs flow so well you would see them on all the fast cars in classes that require mufflers, but nobody has them.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:01 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: JD1969
If glass packs flow so well you would see them on all the fast cars in classes that require mufflers, but nobody has them.

They do, they call them race mufflers. A race muffler is a straight through pipe that deadens sound. A glasspack is too a straight through pipe that deadens sound. You can call a glasspack a straight through muffler if you like, it don't even have to be packed with glass fibers. A muffler has chambers that cancel sounds and restrict flow, a glasspack (or straight through muffler, or race muffler) does not have chambers and sounds are not canceled out, the sounds are deadened. That's the difference.

Different straight throughs will have different properties that will deaden some sounds more than others, and thus they'll have different level of annoyance. Sounds considered annoying are generally above 3kHZ.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:12 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Ok now you are just trying argue semantics, a muffler is any device that muffles (hence the name muffler) sound. I have read alot of your posts and quite franky, 90% of the time you don't have a clue what you are talking about

Quick Reply: Purple Hornies!