General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Big tire rub problem - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 01:24 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

Default Big tire rub problem - HELP!!

A little background first. On my 1995 GT, I have:
335-30-18's on 18X11's on the rear
Eibach Drag Launch Springs front and rear
Busted Eibach airbag due to operator over-inflation (idiot!)
90/10's rear, 50/50's front (or is it vice versa?)

I have a MAJOR rear tire rub problem (especially on the driver side), and I understand why: big, big tires and a lowered suspension. What I'm looking for is a solution to that. I have thoughts of putting airbags on each side (especially since I need to replace the one that sits on the passenger side anyway) and just keeping those bad boys inflated most of the time to keep the lip of the fender from coming down on the tire. A little rougher, yes, but hopefully would solve my woeful rubbing. Or going to a coil-over set up and just keeping them sprung high until the occasion would arise to change that.

I LOVE the look of the car lowered, the super fat tires, and the 18's, so I'm looking for a solution that will not involve radically altering that. Anyone?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:48 AM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Big tire rub problem - HELP!!

You're a radical tire buyer. Could you snap some pictures from the back and sides and post them in here?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:04 AM
babygurl2000
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 4600cc

You're a radical tire buyer. Could you snap some pictures from the back and sides and post them in here?
yeah I bet it LOOKS great

Old 09-14-2005, 01:40 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

those tires are way to big for a stang, I have 18" saleen wheels with 295 and my lips are rolled up and it still hits and my rims are only 10" wide 315s are the max you should have on a stang and they are even a little to wide still.With the 90/10 drag shocks you are going to get so much weight transfer its going to rub bad no matter what and the air bags are going to ruin the point of the shocks so i would get smaller tires
Old 09-14-2005, 08:34 PM
EADracing
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: groundpounder

A little background first. On my 1995 GT, I have:
335-30-18's on 18X11's on the rear
Eibach Drag Launch Springs front and rear
Busted Eibach airbag due to operator over-inflation (idiot!)
90/10's rear, 50/50's front (or is it vice versa?)

I have a MAJOR rear tire rub problem (especially on the driver side), and I understand why: big, big tires and a lowered suspension. What I'm looking for is a solution to that. I have thoughts of putting airbags on each side (especially since I need to replace the one that sits on the passenger side anyway) and just keeping those bad boys inflated most of the time to keep the lip of the fender from coming down on the tire. A little rougher, yes, but hopefully would solve my woeful rubbing. Or going to a coil-over set up and just keeping them sprung high until the occasion would arise to change that.

I LOVE the look of the car lowered, the super fat tires, and the 18's, so I'm looking for a solution that will not involve radically altering that. Anyone?

Are the fenders rolled? An air bag isn't that bad of an idea. I wouldn't run coil overs if this is a daily driver!
Old 09-15-2005, 11:28 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

You forgot to post some pics, I want to see the look of that.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:35 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

rolling the lip is about the only option ..a 335 tires is hugh and what BS do you have on the 18's...I would but some KYB shocks and let the drag shocks go as 18's don't offer much bite in a drag situtation
Old 09-17-2005, 02:08 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

4600cc
That's a nice thing to say to a fella! I will do some snappin AS SOON as I get my digital camera fixed. Maybe tomorrow! Ack! Technology! (batteries)

babygurl2000
yeah I bet it LOOKS great
You just wait, babygurl! It's tough!

99saleen351r
those tires are way too big for a stang, I have 18" saleen wheels with 295 and my lips are rolled up and it still hits and my rims are only 10" wide 315s are the max you should have on a stang and they are even a little to wide still.With the 90/10 drag shocks you are going to get so much weight transfer its going to rub bad no matter what and the air bags are going to ruin the point of the shocks so i would get smaller tires
Not way too big - just a little...tee hee
If I run two air bags, I would deflate the driver side to zero so the passenger side could do its thang. And I reeeeeeaaaaaaalllllllly don't want smaller tires - size matters!!!!!!!

EADracing
Are the fenders rolled? An air bag isn't that bad of an idea. I wouldn't run coil overs if this is a daily driver!
They're about to be, you can bet your @$$!! Thanks for the endorsement of the bag idea, and it is a daily driver, believe it or not!!!

vfast
rolling the lip is about the only option ..a 335 tires is hugh and what BS do you have on the 18's...I would but some KYB shocks and let the drag shocks go as 18's don't offer much bite in a drag situtation
Gonna roll the lip like soon...like tomorrow! Simple to do - somebody told me to do it with a wooden bat so the metal would cut into the bat as opposed to a pipe that would be harsher being as it's metal on metal. Any thoughts on that??
Not sure of the BS - they just fit and that's all I cared about!!
They are Cobra Replica wheels, by the way.
And I have M/T slicks on Dragstars for the drag situations (like that 11.488 @ 119!)
Old 10-02-2005, 08:23 PM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

I finally scanned some pics of my 335's. These are on my 2000 that was not lowered or anything like that, so I never had a rubbing problem there. As soon as I can, I will post pics of the 335's on my lowered 95. Soon! Very soon!

[IMG]local://upfiles/12131/A3DE0F3F5E8646E6AE82B2F9054121CC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12131/A7CEC9C4DDF84608B0330B8B47D6D871.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-02-2005, 08:47 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

If you have the Drag launch kit then it actually raises the car a little. My buddy had a 1995 GT-S with the same kit you have on it and the car looked like a damn 4X4! Are you sure you dont have the Eibach Pro kit or Sport line kit?

Quick Reply: Big tire rub problem - HELP!!