General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help identifying rear end

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:17 AM
TxFireman1972

Default Need help identifying rear end

When I bought my coupe, the guy selling it to me told me he had taken it in because the rear end was making some noise. He said the shop went through it and put all new bearings and seals, all the way through (about $600 worth). He said that when the guy at the shop opened up, he showed him the rear end and said "thats an expensive racing unit". Pretty technical I know lol. Anyway, the seller couldn't remember what the shop told him he had. So when I got it home I jacked it up, marked the bottom of the wheel and the pinion. It just a touch over 4 turns of the pinion for the tire to make a complete rotation. So I assume its 4.10 gears, and it feels like it.

So today, I pulled the cover on the rear end to see what was in there. I didn't see any brand markings, so I thought I would see if anyone could identify it from pictures. Kinda crappy pics, but maybe someone can tell.

Its definitely a Ford gear set. From what I can find, the "10" and "41" stamped on there should indicate 10 teeth on the pinion and 41 teeth on the ring gear. So between that, and also turning and counting, that should indicate 4.10 gears. I'm really wanting to know for sure what carrier that is. I'm probably going to go ahead and take it in and have 3.73's put in, I guess he can tell me for sure what I have.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 AM
wizwrath

Hard to really tell from the pics but it is definitely a heavy duty posi unit Probably a Auburn or at least a trac-loc, and it also looks like 4.10 gears.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 AM
TxFireman1972

Originally Posted by pikereen
This is doubtlessly a fourm worth taking after. You’ve got an amazing bargain to state regarding this subject, and so far information. I imagine that you ability to make individuals listen to what you need to state, in particular with an issue that would be so vital. I am happy to see this fourm. Several huge thumbs up, man

----------------------------------
Originally Posted by pikereen
This is likely a fourm worth accompanying. You’ve got an amazing bargain to express regarding this subject, and so far information. I believe that you expertise to make individuals listen to what you need to declare, specifically with an issue this is so imperative. I am happy to see this fourm. Several vast thumbs up, man

--------------------------------------
ECU Remapping, Engine Remapping

What? Spam I'm guessing?