General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

first time owner. need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 AM
JGill1992
2nd Gear Member

Question first time owner. need help!

ok so i just got a 2006 mustang gt with 30,xxx miles on it from a dealer. the previous owner had left a bama SCT tuner with it and the dealership told me the car has a aftermarket CAI and throttle body

i really need to know if my car is tuned for high octane fuel or not.. i dont want to hurt the car by putting the wrong stuff in. ive running 93 fuel because someone told me if its tuned for lower octane the higher wont hurt it but if its tuned for higher octane the lower could hurt it.

Ive got the tuner and all the plugs/wires/papers i just have no idea how to use the thing how can i tell what the car is tuned for or change the tune?

ive never herd of a tuner before and a internet search led me here ive been looking over the fourms and it looks like theres a lot of people here who know mustangs maybe someone can help me out.

i REALLY love the car and its just been great. i just want to make sure everythings how it should be and know how to change it if i ever add any mods.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-05-2012, 01:56 AM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

No answer to a simple question like this?

This newcomer will give a try and maybe other experts can chime in.

Okay, so if you wanna be safe, disconnect the battery for 0.5hour and everything will reset. whatever the tuner did will be back to factory. and since the only mod is CAI and TB, stock settings wont be bad.

A better option: Use the tuner (its not hard). Plug it in and follow the onscreen direction. you can reset to stock from the tuner.

Oh, the tuner should let you know what octane its running. its self explanatory on the screen.

you have BAMA sct like mines so you can PM me if your stuck somewhere.

Here is what i can remember:

With the car off and all radio, lights, fans (AC/Heat) should be off! so close your door so the dome light is off!

Plug in the tuner to your car OBD (google where your OBD is located) mine is under the diver side on the right. (but yours maybe different)

The tuner should have a tone once its plug in.

now use the arrow to select "custom tune" and press select button.
then you'll see something like
08 GT 87 S
08 GT 91 P
08 GT 93 R

the 08 is your cars year
GT is model
number 87-93 is the octane
S,P,R is Street, Performance, Race

Well i dunno if you want the whole process, but its on screen instruction and its easy to follow.

G-luck ... pls update us on how everything went.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:17 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I would think you could plug in the tuner to your computer to see what tunes are loaded on it. That way you have an idea of what octane to run and what kind of tune it has.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:41 PM
JGill1992
2nd Gear Member

THANKS. i was able to plug it in and it was tuned to Octane 93 Race so everything looks good. i had been putting 93 in it anyway and its been running great. im guessing the race tune will hurt the MPG? its getting around 20MPG and i thought that was pretty good considering how fun it is to drive ^^