General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheel bearing going bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 02:23 PM
Lex8109
1st Gear Member

Default Wheel bearing going bad

Took beastie to the mechanic a few weeks ago for a full checkup. He told me that the front right wheel bearing is deteriorating.

I am pretty new to repairing cars but I'm good with my hands. Is this a repair job that I should do myself or take it to the mechanic?
Old 09-20-2005, 04:14 PM
razarr69
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Wheel bearing going bad

On a fox body Its pretty easy, I did mine when i put in my new ball joints, Im not to sure on a 99 GT tho.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Lex8109
1st Gear Member

Hmm i guess ill give it a shot.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:53 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

There all the same man if you have tools and a little know how you should be all set.Most important part is getting the bearing the right tightness usually you tighten it till its snug and back it off a 1/4 turn but you might want to check on the exact torque setting
Old 09-22-2005, 02:22 AM
razarr69
2nd Gear Member

Yeah i think 99saleen351r is right on tha one, I wasn't sure bout that step so I said **** it and didn't bother to explain. But I'll give her a shot here, we went thru a couple cases in a job that should have only took about 2 hours tops going slow haha. But you take your wheel off, then you pop off the grease cap and you can take out all the grease if you got new grease to pack it with then you loosen the nut in there and then your rotor should come off along with the bearings inside I think along with 2 seals maybe? Then just reverse.Just make sure when your putting it back off 1/4 turn once your tighten it all the way, pretty much as long your wheel spins freely its ok. I'm not totally positive on this but its kind of a rough idea on how to go about it. If you get stuck just post on here what you did and what you don't know what to do.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:51 AM
Lex8109
1st Gear Member

Great! Thanks for the advice guys.

I will start looking for the part online and post back when I get it.

Do I need any special tools or any accessories (you mensioned grease?)
Old 09-22-2005, 03:07 AM
razarr69
2nd Gear Member

On a Fox I used jus basic handtools not positive on yours. If its sum specail tool you should be able to rent it from Autozone or sum auto store Id think. You just might want to buy sum new grease for when you repack the bearings. Pretty much any type of grease works, some better than other, either way it serves the point of lubricating. I just used sum clear **** for mine I dont even know what it was my buddy jus had some.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:24 AM
Lex8109
1st Gear Member

Would WD-40 do the job? If not, then what do I ask for in the store? I don't believe I have any grease lying around at home, but I have a good idea of the type that your talking about.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:16 AM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

well i just did the wheel bearing on my car, all you do is just take off the wheel, then take the caliper off. next pop the grease cap off and then there is a little pin you must take out, after that a cover over the nut will come off and then take the nut off. it won't be tight at all. when you take the wheel bearings and are ready to put them in you must pack the grease in them. just buy a grease that you can use on the wheel bearings(ask the auto store they will know what kind) and put some of it in your hand and run the bearing through it until its inside the wheel bearing and all over it really. on my fox body the wheel bearing on the back side of the rotor has a metal ring that holds the bearing into the rotor so you might want to get that, you just pack the grease and then put some grease on the spindle and put the rotor on. put the nut back on to were there is no slack in the rotor and it slide nicly but is tight. i did mine by hand as hard as i could and then gave it like 1.4 turn with a wrench. Put everything else back on and that its for my 1990 fox body.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Lex8109
1st Gear Member

This is all that I need right?

http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker...+-+WHEEL+FRONT

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing going bad