General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1996 Ford Mustang 3.8 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 04:45 PM
MustangFreak94

Default 1996 Ford Mustang 3.8 wont start

I bought a 1996 for mustang with a 3.8l V6. Drove it all day (few days ago) then it started losing power as if only half of the engine was working. I had it die on me and it wouldnt start back up due to not enough power in the battery, but I finally got it to start back up. It was running great but then on the way home (almost there) it died on the side of the road, had someone try to jump it off but wouldnt. It hasnt ran since, I have a bigger battery now that is good and it tries to start but it makes a loud popping sound as if it is a big miss, ive changed the ive changed the plugs, coil, and I have gas going to the engine. Going to try to change plug wires and check for a spark (need plug wires anyways). If this does not work does anyone know what it could be? It sounds like the distributor could be firing at the wrong time.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:08 PM
MustangFreak94

Ok, I was looking and from what I can find, the mustangs of this year and other various years near this one, do not have a regular distributor with the movable cap, im sure that the car hasnt jumped time either because it was running fine then quit.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:03 PM
g96v6-250k

Originally Posted by MustangFreak94
Ok, I was looking and from what I can find, the mustangs of this year and other various years near this one, do not have a regular distributor with the movable cap, im sure that the car hasnt jumped time either because it was running fine then quit.
you have fuel pressure on the rail? all the wires throw sparks? if it were cam or crank position sensors i would think it would throw a DTC unless the eec is fried maybe. di you put a scanner on it to verify no codes? check fuses, then battery volts and compair that to voltage on the coil pack they should be the same or very close. if all else fails pull the cam position sensor off "just the plastic sensor" and turn the motor to verify the hall effect pickup thing spins. gears or cam chain could be bad. ohm out the wires from coil, cam sensor, crank senor, to eec
Old 08-05-2012, 04:16 PM
MustangFreak94

Yes, I have checked all of that, everything is good but I have not checked the codes because the engine light does not work and the only way I have to check it is to flash codes, but of course without that light I cannot do so. The only other thing from what I am seeing that it could be is the cam position sensor. I'm going to try to either borrow a code machine or get it someone to have them checked then go from there. Anyone know how to check the CPS? (Cam Position Sensor)