General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Check

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 01:28 AM
stngman00
2nd Gear Member

Default Engine Check

I usually do most of the work on my car. But I feel that there is something wrong with my engine that I just can't describe. So I want to take it to a mechanic to get run down on what could be wrong. So I was wondering how much it would cost me to just get a mechanic to look at my car and run a fine toothed comb over everything to see what is wrong or if I'm just loosing my mind. So can anyone tell me what I would be looking at in price and where I might be able to go to get this done. I live in Norfolk VA if that helps.

Mike
Old 09-26-2005, 09:58 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Check

first off, whats wrong with it ? whats it doing, or should i say NOT doing ?? and where i work, Lynnhaven Kia, we charge a check out rate of $89.90 which is for 1hr(thats our labor time. most places are a lil bit more.........dealership wise anyway.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:24 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Grn N Gry 5OH

first off, whats wrong with it ? whats it doing, or should i say NOT doing ?? and where i work, Lynnhaven Kia, we charge a check out rate of $89.90 which is for 1hr(thats our labor time. most places are a lil bit more.........dealership wise anyway.
Yea, that's what most reputable shops charge. 1 hour base time for the diagnostics. And, I love the way you worked the plug in there!
J/K!!
Old 09-26-2005, 10:59 AM
stngman00
2nd Gear Member

It's hard to explain. Sometimes the engine hesitates or sounds like it doesn't have any horsepower at all, then at other times it feels fine. Then me and my friend have been hearing a few different types of noises which are really hard to explain, but one of them sounds like an exhaust leak. Because he has a 2002 Mustang and it kind of sounds like what his car did when he had his exhuast leak. But there are a few other noises that are just really hard to explain. The motor has 70,000 miles on it and I bought it with 47,000 miles. I don't know what kind of work was done to it before I bought it. But I know that I have changed the oil ever 3,000-5,000 miles and changed the spark plugs and wires and anything else that has needed to be done. So what should I be looking for to be going wrong with 70,000 miles on her? Maybe I can start looking for some things myself. Thanks for the help.

Mike
Old 09-26-2005, 12:16 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony

Yea, that's what most reputable shops charge. 1 hour base time for the diagnostics. And, I love the way you worked the plug in there!
J/K!!
my shop doesnt deserve to have a 'Stang in their shop. EVER.

and about the problem...................have you checked the 02's possibly, or your cat's might be clogged........idk kno a whole lot about detailed stuff yet, i was just tryin to get an idea, and ill try talkin to Steve today if hes in a good mood, just, since hes been there a while, and hes a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury GURU, he gets all the bullsh*t jobs there cuz they know he can fix it, and fix it right the first time. but, ill try to talk to him today, if hes there. hes been taking a lot of vacation time here lately, so, if i dont get to talk to him today, ill try to talk to asap.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:08 PM
stngman00
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, let me know what he says after you finally talk to him. Another update on the situation. Today when driving to go pick up my new glasses. I was going throught the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel and some lady decides she wants to go 20 through the tunnel. When we get to the other side I nail it to get around her and the motor doesn't sound the best in the world when nailed it. But after I passed her I let off the gas and I heard the belts squeel. Now I don't know if they were squeeling the whole time i was on the gas because of the exhaust, but I heard them squeel for a second after let off the gas. Don't know if that's related to any of my problems or not, but if so maybe it will help someone identify the problem.

Mike
Old 09-26-2005, 09:39 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

i was just thinking.........might it be timing ?? could it have jumped, or missing a tooth or a few.......idk what else it would be.......i tried talkin to Steve, but, he said theres too many diff things it could be. youd have to get it checked out more than likely at a dealership so they could drive it and see what youre talking about. sorry i cant be of more help
Old 09-26-2005, 09:42 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

i was just thinking.........might it be timing ?? could it have jumped, or missing a tooth or a few.......idk what else it would be.......i tried talkin to Steve, but, he said theres too many diff things it could be. youd have to get it checked out more than likely at a dealership so they could drive it and see what youre talking about. sorry i cant be of more help
i'm pretty sure the v-6 has a timing chain so that wouln't squeal, but your chain might have jumped a tooth. your engine might be pinging. a ping sounds kinda like an exhaust leak.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:22 PM
stngman00
2nd Gear Member

What would be pinging? Something major I am guessing. What could have caused the squealing as well? And would I have to take this to a dealership or could I take it to another mechanic, I feel that the Dealership would cost me more than a regular mechanic? Also what things tend to go wrong with the engine at around 70,000 miles. What should I look at myself if anything?

Mike