General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Universal TPMS, do they exist?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Default Universal TPMS, do they exist?

Did a little googeling (googling?) and didn't see what I was looking for.

Are there universal TPMS systems available that maybe sync to a smartphone or something?

I'm overly **** about tire pressure. The whole kits are over $250 that I've found so far.

I'm getting new Cobra wheels for my car and figured if they exist, now would be a good time to invest
Old 09-18-2012, 04:08 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

I have heard that a bluetooth TPMS was in the works some months ago, don't really know what ever came of that though... I highly doubt it will be cheaper than any other universal system though.. 250 isn't bad at all..

If you want a cheap alternative you can always buy those little accu pressure valve caps. Just gotta order the ones for your tire's PSI..
Old 09-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

I wasnt even aware of those caps. Pretty low cost. worth a shot, thanks!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:02 AM
mcglsr2

Yes, they do. I use this Orange Electronic P409S Retrofit system (found at Amazon for ~$120) on my track car. Shows pressure and temps. You can use either a cigarette lighter or wire it directly (I did directly). It works really well and it's easy to update if you move tires around.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 AM
mcglsr2

Forgot to add, that company looks like it also has apps for smartphones, etc. Not sure, you'd have to do a little digging. The display the kit I mentioned comes with is nice though. You can set limits for tire pressure and temp, normal range displays green, out of range displays red, and it can beep at you when out of range.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Thank you sir!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:01 AM
mcglsr2

Sure thing. When I had DiscountTire put new tires on my wheel, I gave them the monitors from that kit (which are aluminum by the way, not rubber), and made sure they knew which wheels to install them in. The instruction manual tells you which sensor goes where initially. Once you have that set up, you can rotate tires however you want and then use the display to setup where the new locations are.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mcglsr2
Sure thing. When I had DiscountTire put new tires on my wheel, I gave them the monitors from that kit (which are aluminum by the way, not rubber), and made sure they knew which wheels to install them in. The instruction manual tells you which sensor goes where initially. Once you have that set up, you can rotate tires however you want and then use the display to setup where the new locations are.
That just got me thinking..

My 2011 Kia Soul has factory TPMS. I rotated the tires last oil change..

Wonder if I messed up the sensors? I've never had the idiot light come on for the tires yet so I guess it'll be a wait & see!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:07 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shampue

Wonder if I messed up the sensors? I've never had the idiot light come on for the tires yet so I guess it'll be a wait & see!
Good point, you would want to resync the sensors (Car will sync them in order as you go around the car with a tpms sensor) so if one were to go low, it'd show the right tire. Even if you didn't do that, if 'something' went low even if it showed the wrong tire due to rotation/location, you'd spot it with a once-around the car.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:47 AM
mcglsr2

Originally Posted by Shampue

Nah, no worries. You didn't mess anything up. Most normal factory cars don't specify which tire is low. Just that a tire is low. Because of this, you can move them around and it doesn't matter (if you have a factory car that tells you exactly which tire is low, then that is a different matter).

Because the Orange system I have tells you the pressure and temp for each tire specifically, then keeping track of where they are is important, especially if you plan on tracking the car or something.