General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

My mustang won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 01:17 PM
scoltharp
1st Gear Member

Default My mustang won't start!

This is very weird.. this happened on lunch yesterday. I drove to the gas station and filled up, then ran an errand and then went back to my office. All 3 times it started like normal. I get back to the office and turned the car off and was listening to the radio for a min and decided to turn it back on because it was hot.

Everything went dead and it wouldn't start. The dash lights started blinking rapidly, the windows wouldn't roll down, the dome lights were dimmed. I took my key out and I heard this sounds like the dash board was resetting. The gauges dropped under zero and then moved back to zero (like speedometer and RPMs). I put my key in and everything starts blinking again and I heard a loud clicking noise under my hood, like a relay was clicking. When I try to roll the windows down I hear a clicking noise from the fuse box inside the car. When I turn the head lights on, they won't come on and the dash lights blink fast and dim. AND when I press on the brake, the sound like something in the dash was restarting and the gauges did the same thing, and also the brake is stuck. I can't push it in. Just enough for the dash to reset or whatever it's doing.

Then today it is doing basically the same thing except when I turn the key there is a loud click and the dash lights blink and the dome light dims but nothing else.

When I open the door, the windows go down a little like normal but when I shut it, they don't roll back up. My alarm works but it's not loud. It's like the battery isn't strong enough to power everything. I've had the same battery for a year and a half and I haven't done anything recently except put new spark plug wires in a couple weeks ago, but I haven't had any problems.

I pulled my battery out and had it tested and it was good. I'm assuming my alternator is good because the battery isn't dead. My starter has been making a loud noise when starting up, but if it was my starter, would the lights and windows act this way? I've also pulled every fuse in the engine and kick panel and nothing is blown.

I have no idea what to check next. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

Last edited by scoltharp; 09-28-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:33 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Everything you pointed to says dead battery.. what do you mean it tested good? Like voltage tested good or did you take it in and have it load tested?
Old 09-28-2012, 01:37 PM
scoltharp
1st Gear Member

I took it back to exchange it because that's what I thought and they tested it and it read 12.3v I think so they wouldn't let me exchange it.

I'll try again though.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:39 PM
scoltharp
1st Gear Member

I also tried to jump it and it still wouldn't start.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:39 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

If all they did was use a voltmeter than that is not the way to test it.. A proper test places the battery under load to measure the amperage just as it would trying to start a car.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:43 PM
scoltharp
1st Gear Member

Ok thanks! I'm going to take it back now and see if I can exchange it.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:28 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Check your battery terminals for corrosion
Old 09-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Yep def the battery and or alt. That's the classic signs and sounds of a dead as dirt battery. Check the terms as said to because it may be loose, corroded, or not attached good. Also as I always say check the ground.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:04 AM
scoltharp
1st Gear Member

You guys are right. My alternator and battery was dead. Replaced both and it started right up. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Hanildany

It is all of sudden that my Mustang has stopped working and its lights has been dim off. I was driving the car last night and all of sudden the brakes became down. I guess I need to check the battery. I hope it did not corrode.

Quick Reply: My mustang won't start!