General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 PM
jdowdy

Default Electrical Issues

Hey everybody, I'm new to the forums and this is my first post so please forgive me for the lack of profile info or if this is in the wrong section. I have been reading your posts for about a month now and this is absolutely the best Mustang forum that I have seen, and after today, finally had to take the plunge and ask some advice.

I have been into American Muscle since I was 16, but the last few years have been doing off road. Since my move to the city a few years ago, I finally sold my next to last 4x4 and got me a 2005 Mustang 4.0 to play around and learn with again. Nice strong car, good deal, fun to play with, until today that is lol.

Since I have had it, I have always noticed a slight delay when starting, maybe a half second or so between turning the key and the starter engaging. I just always chalked it up to me being out of the loop for a while and just a model difference or something from what I was used to. Today when leaving work, I sensed a slightly longer delay but nothing that raised any red flags. Stopped on the way home at a convenience store, came out, and the same delay followed by a single turn of the engine and then dead silence. No electrical power whatsoever. No windows, no lights, no clicks, nothing. I towed it to the house and will start trouble shooting it tomorrow, but on the chance that it isn't some strange failure of the battery, which I doubt, what else could cause this kind of abrupt failure?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:20 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I think your battery failed. It happens. Even new-ish batteries can fail. Most auto parts stores will run a load test on it for free (call ahead of course) which simulates the conditions on the battery during startup. Also check that the battery terminals are tight & not corroded. If they are, take them off and clean them up with a wire brush and re-install. Good luck...