General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Underdrive pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 07:45 AM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

Default Underdrive pulleys

i want to buy an underdrive pulley set, they are fairly cheap.

what are the advantages of underdrive pulleys... and the set i want comes with 3 pulleys, what are they for and what belt do i need to get once installed
Old 09-29-2005, 08:18 AM
DR8907
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Underdrive pulleys

Underdrive pullys slow down your accessory drives and free up horsepower. Crank, alternator, and water pump pullys come in the set.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:17 AM
02StanGT
4th Gear Member

He's right. It makes the water pump and alternator pulleys bigger, and the crank pulley smaller. Kind of like lightening the load on the engine. There are no disadvantages to them, unless you plan on supercharging it. In that case you actually lose boost. If you plan on supercharging your car, I wouldn't get the pulleys. In my case I didn't need a new belt after having them installed.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:34 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Don't buy piggyback pulleys.To retain the harmonic balancer you bolt the stock balancer to the new crank pulley.Steeda and March both offer the SFI approved non piggyback set.Remember to remove the washer under the bolt on the old crank pulley and to use a good bead of RTV in the keyway when installing the new crank pulley.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:36 PM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper

Don't buy piggyback pulleys.To retain the harmonic balancer you bolt the stock balancer to the new crank pulley.Steeda and March both offer the SFI approved non piggyback set.Remember to remove the washer under the bolt on the old crank pulley and to use a good bead of RTV in the keyway when installing the new crank pulley.

these guys on ebay sell all mustang parts and havent had anything bad said about them....

what do you guys think of these pullies? and how much would steeda pully set run if i needed to go with them
Old 09-29-2005, 05:43 PM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

actually i just looked on steeda.com and the pully set is 100 bucks, might as well do that instead of paying 80 for some knock off,

i see steeda has a 3" racing crank pulley that you can buy by itself... is that how big the crank pully is in the underdrive set?
Old 09-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

you probably don't want a 3" underdrive pulley thats gonna be best for a car turnning serious RPM on a open track or getting the battery charged inbetween rounds at a drag strip.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:52 PM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

I am also considering under pulleys. if I go in for warranty will they tell
me I modified it and void my warranty ????
Old 09-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

thats all up to your dealer and if they want to be an ars or not.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:16 PM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tim37

you probably don't want a 3" underdrive pulley thats gonna be best for a car turnning serious RPM on a open track or getting the battery charged inbetween rounds at a drag strip.

alright thats good info...... im actually worried about the alternator frying if i get an underdrive set, my friend said get a 130 amp alternator from a 94-95 gt and splice it in then mabey ill do the pulleys

Quick Reply: Underdrive pulleys