General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Delay in Instrumentation when car turns on

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 01:28 PM
ryanhayes96

Default Delay in Instrumentation when car turns on

Hi all!

So I have a 2007 Ford Mustang with 74000 miles. A few months ago, when I went to turn the car on, I heard what sounded like a sort of "electrical grinding/electrical grunt" sound. It sounded like it came from the drivers side of the car, possibly the fuse box, but possibly under the hood as well. Nothing ever became of it so I let it go. Today however, when I went to go start my car, I heard the sound again, and quickly noticed that the dash digital instrumentation took 3-5 seconds before they appeared. I drove a few miles and parked the car for 20 minutes or so. When I came back and started it again, the same thing happened! It only happens when the car has been sitting for a period of over a few minutes. When I start it up, turn her off and then turn her on again there are no problems.

I had the alternator rebuilt/replaced a year or so ago, and there is no hesitation from the AC when I turn the car on. The voltage meter reads the same as always as well, which makes me think this might be a fuse problem? Has anyone ever had something like this happen to them?

I know there is some gear/motor that turns near the drivers side of the car when the car is turned off to prevent a power surge/protect the radio or instrumentation, and I can hear it still doing what it normally does, but overall I am at a loss...

Hopefully someone will know what I am talking about!

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

maybe a relay going out or a corroded relay ground. Not all relays simply do or do not work. Sometimes they give audible clues on their demise.

As for the Gear/motor near the drivers side...? Again, sounds like a relay. Some stay temporarily powered up until the power to the cirucuit completely dissipates.