General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

flowtech raptor mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 01:01 PM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

Default flowtech raptor mufflers?

Hi i found a pair of flowtech raptor mufflers for a really good price that are brand new and i was wondering if anyone has heard or have had any experience with them. are they any good? how do they sound? are they better then the stock mufflers on a 98 gt? any info is greatly appreciated. also whats the piping size on a stock gt?
Old 10-24-2005, 12:44 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: flowtech raptor mufflers?

You can find them for about $17 bux new, damn good price for a muffler.

I had a pair on my 70' Chevelle, the Chevelle had a 66' SS396 built to about 500hp and full length hooker headers w/ 3" collectors and 3" all the way to the muffler and then it dumped to the ground.

They were the most baddass sounding muffler I have ever heard, it really sounded like a Dragster, probably THE best MUSCLE CAR tone I have heard for a long time. Flowmaster Dual chambers sound pretty close but with of course the flowmaster sound, the Rapter just sounds like an unbridled beast ready to kill something.

I dont know how they would sound on a GT 4.6 but they are most certainly better then stock mufflers. I have had nothing but good experiances with these mufflers, but if you get them make sure to get the 3" in 3" out, it sounds way better Oh and if you are going to get the mufflers then I really suggest getting a set of full length headers and an X-Pipe to help the sound and power. Now as for horsepower, I really dont know how much they flow but the 3" cant be bad at all. See if you can find an old one and cut it in half or look for a cross section online.

Have fun!

-Eric-
Old 10-24-2005, 04:29 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Stock exhaust piping is 2.25" diameter, if i remember right. If you bump up to too large of exhaust, you may actually lose low-end torque and power because of the lack in backpressure (lets atmospheric pressure back into the cylinder through the exhaust pipe)
Old 10-25-2005, 12:40 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

True, but what I am getting from him is that he is wanting to put a whole new exhaust system on. If thats the case then Full length headers (Hooker Super comps are great) to Bassani (Or choice) X-Pipe (3" section if you can find it) then into your Raptors and you can either dump it or run 3" out.

Thats a great setup right there and leaves all the room you need to build a nasty stang. If he isnt going that way then he can get a smaller I.D. muffler and run that, still will sound great
Old 10-25-2005, 02:08 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

i really don't think you want 3" exhaust on a non PI 4.6 - they don't breathe that well.