General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Burning Oil....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 05:29 PM
mdolphins1334

Default Burning Oil....

Ive got a 93 mustang that ive swapped a 351w into. The bottom end was built by a engine shop and i purchased the Edelbrock RPM Performer top end kit. Got the car running and a base timing set up with a 750 edelbrock carb. I noticed some blueish whiteish smoke almost immediately but oil and grease were all over the exhaust so i thought nothing of it. It would smoke when on the throttle, normal accelerating. Doesnt smoke while idling. After 2 days of smoking i checked the oil and it was 1 1/2 quarts low. The engine builder told me i didnt need any type of break in oil due to the hydraulic rollers and lifters and cam, so i went with standard penzoil. When i called him to tell him it was smoking he then recommended break in oil. so i went with royal purple. Still didnt fix anything. Ive been told that it is either the rings not seated properly and allowing oil to burn or a valve seats. The heads are brand new so i dont feel it is the valves but im not sure. i havent driven the car in a few weeks. i drove it for a week until i believe it fouled out the plugs. when i last drove it, it backfired through exhaust and carb. i was told that i could put a small cap full or so of transmission fluid in each cylinder through the spark plug and replace the plugs to see if that seals the rings, if it is the rings that arent sealed. Does this sound like the problem? im not exactly sure what to do but want to try anything before having to remove the engine and tearing it back down. it was a complete rebuild. had the block bored over .040 and crank turned. like i said the bottom end was assembled by the engine builder so im not sure if the rings just didnt seat or not? any ideas or anyone with this problem before? thanks
Old 06-23-2015, 07:59 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

How many miles have you put on the car since you got her up and running?
Old 06-30-2015, 11:40 AM
mdolphins1334

300 miles. Smoked the whole time. I pulled plugs and dropped some trans fluid in each cylinder and put new plugs in but it didn't want to run. I've got a separate problem with a pick up tube in the gas tank. It wants to shut off at 3/4 of a tank do I have to keep it full. But it's just been sitting for now. Had to get my daily driver fixed and running and haven't had time to mess with the stang. It should be a good daily driver but doesn't want to run (the fuel problem which I can fix easily) and burns oil and smokes bad
Old 06-30-2015, 12:56 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

That is excessive oil use, even for a fresh motor. Do you have a way to do a leak down test ? It does sound like the rings aren't seated, even though they should be by now. Seems something wasn't gapped, or assembled correctly.

I've always thought that oil smoke on acceleration were bad rings, oil smoke at startup, idling, and deceleration was valve seals.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:55 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Seems something wasn't gapped, or assembled correctly.
I agree with 88, that's a lot of oil. I can't see it using that much in 300 miles even if the rings did not seat.
Did the block come with a guarantee? Btw, I believe that if the rings don't seat right away, the cylinders will glaze over enough that the rings will never seat correctly. If all of the plugs are fouled, I think it's very unlikely that it will fix itself.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:20 AM
mdolphins1334

im not sure about a warranty but its a local guy that my dad knows pretty well that builds motors for a living. use to race or something of the sort but things happen I guess. I wanted to drive it back to him to show him what was happening but it hasn't been running and with my daily driver and my wifes daily driver both having problems the mustang has been put on the back burner and also because im afraid it is the rings and am putting off tearing the motor back down. I can get a leak down tester though to check it before I pull everything but I was leaning towards rings... just wanted some confirmation that it seems a bit excessive and somethings wrong. hopefully ill get around to checking it soon and get it fixed. thanks for the help. should I just pull the pistons myself and replace the rings? or will I need to send it back to the shop and have the cylinders cross hatched?
Old 07-06-2015, 09:54 AM
mdolphins1334

http://s171.photobucket.com/user/mdolphins1334/library/
Old 07-07-2015, 07:06 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Nice car, very sharp .

It's a shame, but I'd take it to whoever did the work and see what they say. You have a lot of money sitting there.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:00 AM
mdolphins1334

So i haven't really had time to mess with it from just being too busy, but ive tried to do some reading about the problem and I read somewhere that if it is running too rich, the excessive fuel could be enough to not let the rings seal properly. ive got a 750 edelcbrock carb and put it straight on out of the box. haven't adjusted anything on it except the idle screw. does this sound like it could be a possible issue? I wanted to take it to someone who really knew carbs and could set it up but I have to get it running first....
Old 07-27-2015, 07:34 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Pull a couple plugs and check the color. If it was really running that rich, the plugs would be black as black, and a cloud of black smoke would follow you.

Post a couple pics of the plug tips if you can.

Quick Reply: Burning Oil....