General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing sparkplugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 06:36 PM
99mustanggt
3rd Gear Member

Default Installing sparkplugs

Hi everyone,
I just got new sparkplugs for my 99 GT but when i installed the first one it only went in about 2 turns. I took it out and re-installed it 2 or 3 times and it did the same thing everytime.I just wanted to see if this is normal before i continue with the rest of the plugs.Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-20-2005, 06:58 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Installing sparkplugs

you may have messed up the threads because they shouldn't have any trouble going down. whatever you do dont force it down.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:24 PM
TorchV6
4th Gear Member

agreed dont force it cuz then you will have to tap it and the shavings unless using a vaccuum and even then no gaurantees that the shaving wont go into the engine. So try to feel the threads on the block and check the threads or try a different plug in that hole if they are screwed up I feel bad for you even though its not a MASSIVE deal it still sucks real good.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

You might have to use a sparkplug hole thread chaser.This will clean up the threads and allow you to install the plugs.By the the way you describe your problem my guess is the plug is cross threaded.You can coat the chaser with grease to catch the cuttings and keep them from falling into the engine.GO SLOW,if the plug is cross threaded the chaser can be also.If it goes in crooked it will tap new threads and ruin the old ones.Then the plug won't be able to be tightened to full torque and will eventually pop out.The only remedies for this will be to Helicoil the spark plug hole or head replacement.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:28 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Did the other 7 go in OK? You should be able to screw them all the way in with just your fingers..