General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Window Motor(new) Issue: Opposite Direction

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:19 PM
HorsePower99
1st Gear Member

Default Window Motor(new) Issue: Opposite Direction

I just got a new Motorcraft driver's door window motor and once I installed it and tested it before putting the door panel back on, it is going in the wrong direction. When I push down on the switch, the window goes up; when I push up, the window goes down. It's also very noisy, but obviously that's no big deal compared to the motor going in the wrong direction.

It's not possible to install it backwards or plug it in backwards, and when I plug in the new motor and the old motor with it uninstalled the gear on the new one does go in the opposite direction from the old one. The wiring that is visible is all the same, I'm assuming something is backwards inside that you can't see. Obviously I don't want to tear anything apart myself though when it's a new motor that I could just return.

I just wanted to make sure before reinstalling the old one and returning the new one, though, that there isn't some stupid simple little thing that I'm having a brain fart on. Any ideas?

Thanks guys.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:24 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

the only time i have ever seen that, was when a customer put a battery in backwards, however the window running backwards was the least of his problems. if everything else works correctly, i assume they sold you the wrong part number for your year, you could make it work by depining the wires from the connector on the motor side and then switching them around.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:32 PM
HorsePower99
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
the only time i have ever seen that, was when a customer put a battery in backwards, however the window running backwards was the least of his problems. if everything else works correctly, i assume they sold you the wrong part number for your year, you could make it work by depining the wires from the connector on the motor side and then switching them around.
Holy hell, a battery in backwards Yeah that's definitely not the case here. That's what I was thinking, either something just didn't get wired up right or they gave me the wrong part(I don't know without looking if maybe the passenger side would still fit in but that this would happen). I was thinking about switching the wires like that, but like I said with it being new anyway I think I'd rather take it back, especially since it's also pretty noisy.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't having a very stupid moment some way or another though, since I've gone from being a Ford tech a few years ago to very rarely doing any automotive work anymore. Thanks for the reply.