General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2002 salvage title????

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 02:35 PM
JimPunkrockford

Question 2002 salvage title????

hello eveyone, i need a bit of advice, thought you guys might have some insight.

sooooo, i bought this practically new 02 mustang with 36K miles and still has some new car smell. rear ended something/someone and was an insurance total. i bought it on copart (i couldn't resist) for $80, but after paperwork and everything it was $200. obviously someone loved this car, it was it great shape. i think it probably didn't get towed after the accident because all, and i mean all, of the little bits that broke off were in the trunk. either that or the most conscientious tow driver ever. so basically it needs new headlights. oh that and a clear title. so, i live on an island in hawaii and only one shop is certified to return salvage title cars to the road, and the guy and that shop is a total *****. i got a quote for $3K for new parts and paint and labor and paperwork, guy is just being an asshat. so ideas what should i do with this thing?

1. watch craigslist for a compatible car and use the damaged front end parts and let the shop put them on then after i get the paperwork i put all the original parts back on both cars and sell the parts car.

2. ship car someplace where it is easier to get it titled?

3. find some sort of cheap car racing series? the car will be be super reliable but only a v6.

4. park it in a cane field and let the tin worm return it to the earth?

ideas??? what would you guys do? i'd LOVE to have and use this car it is so fun to tool around in, but i don't know how to make this happen.

this thing might be the deal breaker. the bumper mount is ever so slightly bent down.

the accordion bumper bracket is welded to the front of the frame and did what it was supposed to do, it bent. does this part get replaced? or bent back? is this car really a total? i can't seem to locate these parts on websites, what are they called? this seems to wreak my idea number one about buying a temp parts car. here are some shots of when i brought it home.

okay guys, what to do with the car? there are no bad answers, lets hear em
Old 12-23-2015, 05:13 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I can't imagine that you can't get the car titled without this guy. It will have a salvage title for sure, maybe Hawaii has different rules to make sure the car is roadworthy? Maybe check with the local sheriffs office? Or county clerk? I'd think they would issue you a salvage title without much trouble?

As for the repairs, my father in law runs a salvage rebuild shop, they fix just about anything. I'd say at $200 you stole that thing.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:22 PM
JimPunkrockford

i am 100% positive that this one guy needs to sign off on the car. i could take it to another island ($120) and try my luck there. but right now i have a $200 paper weight
Old 12-23-2015, 05:27 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimPunkrockford
i am 100% positive that this one guy needs to sign off on the car. i could take it to another island ($120) and try my luck there. but right now i have a $200 paper weight
Hmm, that's weird. Can you do the repairs, or take it somewhere else, and then get him to do the inspection? Maybe play it like, I can't afford the $3000, but I can pay you for the time and inspection?
Old 12-23-2015, 05:43 PM
JimPunkrockford

Originally Posted by CPTCO
Hmm, that's weird. Can you do the repairs, or take it somewhere else, and then get him to do the inspection? Maybe play it like, I can't afford the $3000, but I can pay you for the time and inspection?
i'm sure the shop had to jump through a bunch of bureaucratic hoops to be able to do the certification, probably had to pay too. now they want to re coop some of that time and money on me.

by law only they can work on the car. unfortunately they get to play god with this mustang, and they know it
Old 12-23-2015, 06:02 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Well, it looks like you are dependent on them. Or ship the car to fix it, might be better. I live in the boonies, so I'd probably just fix it and drive it until I got caught, lol.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:26 PM
KrazyKen

Might be easier to just part out the car or sell it to someone else as is. Parting out would get you back more money, but take longer. The rims and tires alone can get you $100-200 provided they are not cracked or bent. Since the car has low mileage and if the engine is still good, you can sell it to someone who needs a replacement engine. Otherwise you can see what a junkyard/salvage would pay you for it whole. No matter what you decide though, $200+ should be easy to recoup.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:12 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

it was totaled for that? Did any airbags deploy?
Old 01-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Richard1916

Default Tats messed up only one guy. Monopoly anyone

Just spot weld new bracket on and show up at shop say bought it like that, regardless with bumper cover should be " roadworthy " now
Old 01-03-2016, 09:01 AM
Cbonis72

Well you are stuck, unlike many other states salvage cars have to be rebuilt by a certified Salvage rebuild shop before being able to drive again. The issue with a partial repair is they can pull records of the damage and say repairs are unauthorized. I would try and contact other CSR Shops and possible negotiate the price.

FYI-other stated (Texas) you just have to go through a state inspection after repairs.