General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Question about tint

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 05:10 PM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Default Question about tint

Been wanting to tint my windows cus I just moved to Florida (25% state law) so was wondering what % do you guys usually like?

I saw 35% is popular, but it looks a bit too light IMO, but I don't want to go crazy dark to where its dangerous at night either....so should I go for 30%?

Also my local shop has a good deal for dyed film but for ceramic films its like 3 times the price....is it OK to get dyed films? He said the dyed film is non metallic or non reflective or something, can't remember. Will dyed film help protect the interior from sun damage and help keep the car cooler? And also look cool!
Old 04-01-2016, 12:30 AM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

I would shop around I just had my driver/passenger Windows done in ceramic. There's is a noticeable heat transfer difference in the two. The guy showed me with a heat lamp it's well worth the money in my opinion. Here in GA summer sun is pretty bad on interiors not quite as bad as Florida though. They also have a clear ceramic that blocks heat through the windshield but it's $$. My two windows cost me $100 vs $68 for the standard tint. It's a little more but so far it's worth every penny. I'm going back to get the windshield done soon but so far I've noticed a substantial improvement. My back glass and quarter lights are 25% and it's almost too dark at night changing lanes can be troublesome at times but my 35% fronts are just about perfect. You can't walk by and see what's in the car without being too obvious but you can still see out at night it's a pretty good compromise I think.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:14 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09GT/CS
I would shop around I just had my driver/passenger Windows done in ceramic. There's is a noticeable heat transfer difference in the two. The guy showed me with a heat lamp it's well worth the money in my opinion. Here in GA summer sun is pretty bad on interiors not quite as bad as Florida though. They also have a clear ceramic that blocks heat through the windshield but it's $$. My two windows cost me $100 vs $68 for the standard tint. It's a little more but so far it's worth every penny. I'm going back to get the windshield done soon but so far I've noticed a substantial improvement. My back glass and quarter lights are 25% and it's almost too dark at night changing lanes can be troublesome at times but my 35% fronts are just about perfect. You can't walk by and see what's in the car without being too obvious but you can still see out at night it's a pretty good compromise I think.
wow, all the shops here want 400+ for ceramic. how is nanocarbon? i can get regular dyed for 200 or nanocarbon for 300.... though he said they use a "premium dye film" that does not fade :S
Old 04-01-2016, 08:55 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

i found a shop that has really good reviews and they seem very professional when i talked to them and didnt try to hassle me into buying other crap so im gonna go with them next week. just gonna do basic dye film but they said its ok cus they use better quality dye films and dye films look more factory and its not 1995, dye films these days are pretty nice.

maybe the dye film wont last as long as a ceramic or carbon, but the way i see it i may die any day now so i dont really worry about stuff too much anymore - just trynna get through the days and the car only has to last as long as i do.