General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

RMS Install Q?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 09:11 PM
BlueOvalFitter

Exclamation RMS Install Q?'s

2005 F150, 4.2 V6, 210K Miles, Auto

I know it's not a Mustang, but, (2) reasons I am here asking Q?'s;
1) The F150 website members are brain dead
2) The RMS on this engine is the same used in most Mustang engines

My friend has been the original owner of this truck since day 1. Just recently he noticed it was leaking oil (about 4 months ago) and was getting worse.
He lives in FL and there are garages there that let you rent a stall with a lift in it. He installed dye in the engine (3) days prior to the work. Upon removal of the trans, he seen the oil leak. He wiped down EVERYTHING and waited a bit to see if it would leak. Sure enough, it was coming from the RMS. He removed it and installed a FELPRO part number BS40644 Teflon RMS. He lubed the lip with oil (Instructions read to INSTALL DRY!) and Permatex Ultra Gray RTV on the outer diameter of the seal. He used the old seal and a flat piece of steel (1/8" 4"X4") to seat it.
After everything was back together it leaked worse than before! I told him it was supposed to be installed dry. He started over, new seal, same part number, installed dry. It leaked again, but, not as bad.
He cleaned the crank end with brake cleaner then alcohol. Everything looked good, no knicks, scratches, etc.
I told him if he is going to install a Teflon seal DO NOT INSTALL IT WET! And, to rent a RMS install tool. He said he will do as I said and asked if I had any more advice for him. That's why I am here, on this GREAT FORUM asking for ANY advice that you Mustang members with RMS install experience are willing to give me to pass onto him. Also, the crank bolts DO NOT go all the way through!
He is 59 years old, still uses a flip phone, has NO computer or has EVER used a computer, but, is very mechanically inclined. Can anyone help me to help him?
Old 10-03-2016, 07:11 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Sorry I can't help, but can advise to ask this in the Tech section for your year Mustang,.........F150. Just more members in that section. Good luck