General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Stupidly Error - Any Ideas

Old 11-23-2016, 01:33 PM
MonguseAz

Default Stupidly Error - Any Ideas

Ok so as much as I hate to admit it, but I screwed up. While swapping out the engine (this is the new motor), I hade to remove on of the heater hoses, the 5/16 socket came off and of course went into the 0lug hole, to make it worse rather than grab my magnet as I should have done, I tried to get it and down it went to the cylinder. So without taking off the head, which I don't really want to do. For two main reasons one never have removed the head on an overhead cam motor, and two don't want to do all the work involved. So any ideas how I might Fisk it out? Been using a small magnet bu only get it on the side, so far. So if anyone has ever done this and gotten it out without taking off the head, how about some deas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:49 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I don't see you getting in there with anything except a telescoping magnet. Just gonna have to keep at it. Maybe rotate the engine by hand so that whatever cylinder it's in is at or near BDC? Would probably make access with the magnet about as good as it's gonna get without removing the cylinder head.

Maybe also try improvising some tools if you can't get the right angle with a telescope magnet. I was thinking something like a small magnet on a string?

Last edited by Z28KLR; 11-23-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:07 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Whatever you do, don't start it! (Forgive me, but I feel the need to say that. I encountered a fellow on another forum who made that mistake, after dropping a hose clamp down the intake.)

With the angle of the piston, I'm sure the socket has rolled down to rest in the bottom of the chamber, near the outer edge of the engine (think below the exhaust port).

I really think that your best bet is to keep trying with the magnet. Putting it on a string might work, but I wouldn't try that without making sure that the magnet was secure so as not to come off in the cylinder. (It wouldn't be attracted to the valves, would it?)
Old 11-24-2016, 05:18 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Alumn. Block & pistons I hope?? I'd try taking a tool that's a wire with magnet on the end & mark the place where it hits the piston. Then make a stop so it is just above the piston & try to fish it around! I think it would be easiest if the piston is at the bottom of the down stroke since you will have a lesser angle as you draw it out.

Worst comes to worst... it might be easier to remove the pan & pull that rod & piston out of the bottom. Putting the piston & rings back in the cylinder from the bottom might not be easy & require someone good at installing pistons. In most engines it can be done.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mr. D; 11-24-2016 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:29 AM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

I don't think it's possible to pull the rod and piston from the bottom without pulling the crank and even then I think there is interference from the main webs. Be very careful if you try to rotate the engine as it would be easy to lodge the socket so it can do damage to the valves. I hate to say it but the safest way may be to remove the head.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:22 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

A magnet on a string with the piston all the way down will most likely get it with a few tries......GOOD LUCK!!
Old 11-27-2016, 12:18 AM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Start it up. Should come out the exhaust pipe
Old 11-28-2016, 08:59 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

OH JEEZ !!! lol.

It would never make it past the fulcrum valve and probably lodge in the tinker seal.

Thanks for sharing OP, these types of threads make me feel normal lol.

You could also look for one of these flexible-shaft grabber tools that have the little fingers the protrude out at the end of the shaft when you squeeze the other end.

Good luck
Old 11-28-2016, 03:25 PM
Billy13

Maybe be worth looking into a borescope with a magnet on the end? Then you can also see what you are doing.

Last edited by Billy13; 11-28-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:08 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by barstowpo
I don't think it's possible to pull the rod and piston from the bottom without pulling the crank and even then I think there is interference from the main webs. Be very careful if you try to rotate the engine as it would be easy to lodge the socket so it can do damage to the valves. I hate to say it but the safest way may be to remove the head.
Barstowpo is probably right! I think I would just pull the head if you can't fish it out! It might be better for your blood pressure & sleep to just do it & move on! We've all done dumb things! It's called being human! There are two types of people. Those who have done dumb things & liars!

Search this Thread